Seed Sector Analysis – Thailand Industry, Growth, Trends and Forecasts (2017 - 2022)
Thailand is becoming an attractive hub for seed production in Asia-Pacific, owing to the suitable geography and weather, availability of highly trained plant scientists, wide diversity of germplasm, good infrastructure, government support and investments from foreign governments, and multinational agencies & companies.
The Thai Seed Trade Association (THASTA) established in 2002, and Seed Association of Thailand (SAT) play a significant role in the Thai seed industry.
Maize industry in Thailand is successful due to the government backed promotion for crops and considerable investment has been made by public and private organizations in R&D activities. Organizations, such as the National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA), the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives (MOA), and the Board of Investment (BOI) have initiated several programs to promote seed hub policy in the Thai seed industry.
Some of the important seed companies with global presence in the Thai seed industry include:
• Pioneer Hi-Bred
• Pacific Seeds
The Thai seed industry has developed considerably, owing to the healthy competition between these multi-national organizations.
Major factors limiting the growth of the Thai seed industry include low production efficiency of crops, short land tenure for crop cultivation, lack of marketing initiatives, and low farm prices. The market is driven by factors such as, high investment from foreign governments and multinational companies & organizations, which has led to technological innovations in the Thai agriculture market. The Thai seed industry has a vast pool of experienced scientists carrying out research in development of high-yielding varieties of seeds and cultivars for farming.
The market is segmented, based on crop type, into grains and cereals, vegetables, and others, with grains and cereals occupying the majority of the market share in Thailand. Rice is one of the major cereal crops of Thailand, registering a growth of XX% during 2017-2022 (the forecast period).
Major Companies in the Sector Include:
• Monsanto Thailand Ltd
• Chia Tai Co. Ltd
• Syngenta Thailand
• Pacific Seeds (Thai) Ltd.
• Pioneer Hi-Bred (Thailand) Co. Ltd.
• East-West Seed (Thailand) Co. Ltd.
• Known-You Seed (Thailand) Co. Ltd.
• Namdhari Seeds (Thailand) Co. Ltd
• Lion Seeds Co. Ltd.
• Advance Seeds Co. Ltd.
• Siam Hi-Tech Seed
Recent Industry Insights
• Monsanto began promoting pest-resistant GM maize to farmers in the Northeast of the country, as GM seed-testing is still allowed in Thailand.
• Chia Tai Co., a Thai producer and distributor of agricultural products, set aside in 2017 an investment budget of USD 8.82 million to expand its distribution channels and for R&D of vegetable seeds in South and Southeast Asia, India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Vietnam, and the Philippines.
• In 2017, a partnership was established between East-West Seed Company and the Thai government to invest in R&D activities for the development of new varieties of quality seeds and cultivars for producing quality output.
Key Deliverables in the Study
• Market analysis for the Thailand seed market, with region-specific assessments and competition analysis
• Market overview, identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the Thai seed market and how these factors are instrumental in changing the market scenario, on both, global and regional scale
• Extensively researched competitive landscape with profiles of major companies and their market share, along with an analysis of their current strategic interests, financial information and the plans adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market.
Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.Download eBook