Seed Sector Analysis – South-East Asia, Growth, Trends and Forecasts (2017 - 2022)
Countries covered under the Southeast Asia seed market analysis include Indonesia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam. The seed sector in these countries has undergone continuous and significant changes and is considered as the most productive agricultural basket in the world. The Myanmar seed industry has great potential, owing to its strategic position and closeness to major regional markets of China, Bangladesh, Thailand, etc. In Vietnam, almost 70-80% of the seeds that include hybrid rice, maize, and vegetable seeds are imported. Hybrid rice seeds are imported mostly from China, hybrid maize from Thailand, and India, and vegetable seeds from Thailand, China, Japan, Korea, and France. With the maize seed market is dominating the seed industry, the Vietnam is witnessing significant developments.
The Thailand seed industry is considered to be among the most advanced and well-developed industries in Asia-Pacific. At present, Thailand is an attractive hub for seed production in Asia-Pacific because of the factors, such as suitable geography and weather, availability of highly trained plant scientists, a wide diversity of germplasm, proper infrastructure, government support, and investments from foreign governments, and the presence of multinational agencies and companies. In Philippines seed industry, a majority of seeds are sourced from the owned-saved seeds of farmers or informal seed sector, which involves seeds saved by them from harvest and is used for re-sowing, exchanging, selling, etc. Private companies constituting formal seed sector are the main source of high-value seeds, such as hybrids. Indonesian seed industry is considered to be a competitive seed-production hub owing to the modern biotechnology being used.
The multinational companies, such as Monsanto, Syngenta, and Dupont Pioneer, play an important role in the seed sector of this region. For instance, Charoan Pokphand is an important local company and East West seed is the largest vegetable seed company with a significant market share in the region.
Major factors limiting the market growth include the minimal availability of good-quality seeds and domination of informal seed sector. The increasing share of private seed sector and government initiatives regarding seed policies are driving the market growth and development.
The market is segmented by countries. Further, the countries are segmented, based on the crop type, into grains & cereals, vegetables, and ‘others’. The grains & cereals segment is sub-segmented into rice and maize, where rice occupies the major market share for all countries and maize is expected to be the fastest-growing segment during 2017-2022 (the forecast period). The Southeast Asian vegetable market is expected to register a CAGR of 6.4% during 2017-2022 (the forecast period).
Major Companies in the Sector Include:
• Dupont Pioneer
• East West Seeds
• Charoen Pokphand Group
• Advanta Seeds
• Known You Seed
Recent Industry Insights
• Among the Southeast Asian countries, Cambodia signed the seed sharing agreement in which India, Bangladesh, and Nepal are already signatories since 2014.
• East West Seed sees Thailand as a seed production hub and established its first private seed-testing lab certified by the International Seed Testing Association.
Key Deliverables in the Study
• Market analysis, with region-specific assessments and competition analysis
• Market overview, identification, and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the Southeast Asia seeds market and instrumental in changing the market scenario on, both, global and regional scale
• Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies and their market share, along with an analysis of their current strategic interests and financial information and strategies adopted to sustain and grow in the studied market.
Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.Download eBook