Seed Sector Analysis – Philippines Industry, Growth, Trends and Forecasts (2017 - 2022)
Due to lack of effective seed delivery system and non-functional national variety release committee, the country is not self-sufficient in rice production, owing to which it imports rice from neighboring countries, making it one of the world's biggest rice importers. The Department of Agriculture, along with its agencies such as Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice), is working with International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) to intensify rice seed production.
Bureau of Plant Industry (BPI) has been fulfilling the needs of Philippines seed industry by production, acquisition, and distribution of quality seeds and by proper seed certification. BPI together with the Philippines Seed Industry Association (PSIA) assures a regulatory mechanism for accreditation and registration of quality and superior crop varieties.
National Seed Industry Committee (NSIC) review requirements for accreditation of registration with consideration to informal seed supply system, as informal seed sector dominates the market.
With rapid developments in the seed industry of Philippines, the government is promoting vegetable seed sector. The vegetable sector is dominated by companies headquartered in other countries, such as Pioneer Hi-Bred Philippines, East West Seed, Bioseed Research Philippines, etc.
The major factors limiting the market growth include the lack of interest of commercial seed companies to multiply seeds, due to low profit margins and lack of skills and knowledge on vegetable production. The market is driven by factors such as input subsidies for seeds and fertilizers by government and increased demand for vegetable seeds because of low per capita availability of vegetables compared to rice.
The market is segmented, based on crop type, into grains and cereals, vegetables, and others, where grains & cereals segment is further divided into rice and others while vegetables segment into pumpkin, squash & gourds, and others. With the increased demand for vegetables, vegetable seed market of Philippines is expected to register a CAGR of XX, during 2017-2022 (the forecast period).
Major Companies in the Sector Include:
• Pioneer Hi-Bred Philippines, Inc.
• Bioseed Research Philippines, Inc.
• Evo Gene Seeds Corporation
• East-West Seed
• Ramgo International Corporation
• Vigour Seeds Dev. Inc.
• Pilipinas Kaneko Seeds Corporation
• S L Agritech Corporation
• Harbest Agribusiness Corporation
• Allied Botanical Corporation
Recent Industry Insights
• The NSIC approved 14 new inbred and dry-seeded varieties developed by the Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice), IRRI, and University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) in 2017.
• The Philippines and Cambodia have agreed to boost their cooperation on rice research and production, which envisions a competitive and climate-resilient rice industry that can provide the requirement of the country at any given time.
• The Department of Agriculture (DA) and hybrid rice producer S L Agritech Corp. (SLAC) will attempt to spread the use of hybrid rice in Mindanao, with the DA targeting as much as a million hectares (ha) cultivated to the variety by 2020, up 60% from current levels.
Key Deliverables in the Study
• Market analysis, with region-specific assessments and competition analysis
• Market overview and identification, and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the Philippines seeds market and also instrumental in changing the market scenario, on both, global and regional, scales
• Extensively researched competitive landscape section, with profiles of major companies and their market share, along with an analysis of their current strategic interests and financial information and strategies adopted to sustain and grow in the studied market.
Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.Download eBook