Seed Sector Analysis – India Industry, Growth, Trends and Forecasts (2017 - 2022)
The Indian agricultural sector has grown immensely during the last few decades, keeping pace with the rising food demand. Major growth in agricultural production is a result of improving productivity, as land area under agriculture has been declining over the years.
The Indian seed industry is a relatively mature industry, with both the private and public sectors playing important roles in seed production. Seed production for commercial purposes were initially carried out by public seed agencies like National Seed Corporation (NSC), State Farms Corporation of India and State Seed Corporations (SSC). High Seed replacement Ratio and demand for quality seeds by farmers led to a rapid development in the private sector. The private sector now accounts for majority of the Indian seed company’s market share, and constitutes a heterogeneous entity with companies such as Nuziveedu, Rallis India, Kaveri Seeds, Monsanto India, and Rasi Seed generating a significant revenue.
The seed sector analysis revealed that the unpredictable weather patterns and high dependence on monsoon rain, are the major factors limiting the market growth. The market is driven by factors such as increased demand of vegetables and higher acceptance of commercial seeds for assured yield and productivity.
The market is segmented, based on the crop type, into grains and cereals, vegetables and others, in which grains and cereals are subdivided into rice, wheat, millets while vegetables are further segmented to onion and others. The Indian seed market is expected to register a CAGR of XX%, during 2017-2022 (the forecast period).
Major Companies in the Sector Include:
• Rallis India
• Advanta Seeds
• Nuziveedu Seeds
• Kaveri Seeds
• National Seeds Corporation Ltd.
• PHI Seeds Private Limited (Dupont Pioneer)
• Monsanto India Ltd.
• MAHYCO Seeds
• Rasi Seeds
• JK Agri Genetics Ltd.
• VNR Seeds
• Kalash Seeds
Recent Industry Insights
• The Rallis More Pulses (MoPu) programme, in partnership with the Government covers several states, which benefits a large number of farmers, by improving their productivity in pulses in 2017.
• Bayer’s partnership with Monsanto will create a global leader in agriculture with the benefit from Monsanto’s leadership in seeds & traits along with Bayer’s broad crop protection product line across a wide range of crops and indications.
• National Seed Corporation had entered into a MoU with Department on Agriculture, Karnataka for the supply of certified seeds of Oilseeds in 2017.
Key Deliverables in the Study
• Market analysis for the Indian seed market, with region-specific assessments and competition analysis.
• Market overview and identification, and analysis of the macro and micro factors, that affect the India seed market, and which is also instrumental in changing the market scenario, on both, global and regional scale.
• Extensively researched competitive landscape section, with profiles of major companies and their market share, along with an analysis of their current strategic interests and financial information and strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market.