Seed Sector Analysis – Afghanistan Industry, Growth, Trends and Forecasts (2017 - 2022)
Afghanistan seed sector owes to the increasing availability of improved crop varieties and rising awareness regarding the benefits of certified seeds.
Most of the agriculture research in this region is carried out by International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA), Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) and Food & Agriculture Organization (FAO). FAO’s technical support to the national seed program contributed to the release of 19 new varieties of wheat, which is anticipated to result in 30% incremental yield in irrigated areas.
The key public sector factors in Afghanistan is the Agricultural Research Institute of Afghanistan (ARIA) which is involved in breeder seed production of released varieties. However, all the certified seeds produced in the country are carried out by private enterprises.
The seed sector analysis revealed that informal seed sector that includes farmers, who own saved and leaked seeds, dominate the market. However, Helal Group is trying to dominate the market by importing quality seeds and producing seeds within Afghanistan, by engaging farmers, seed breeders, farm specialists, and agronomists.
The major factors limiting the market growth include poor availability of good-quality seeds and insufficient production technologies. The market is driven by factors, such as, the development of village-based seed enterprises (VBSEs) that have proximity with small-holder farmers, who constitute 69% of farming community.
The market is segmented, based on the crop type, into grains & cereals, vegetables, and others, where grains & cereals segment occupies the majority of the market share in Afghanistan. The wheat market of Afghanistan is expected to register a CAGR of XX%, during the forecast period.
Major Companies in the Sector Include:
• Helal Group
• Noor agro Group
• Sweda Agriculture Services
Recent Industry Insights
• Helal Seeds bring quality seeds by introducing varieties of top companies that have been tested and trialed under local conditions and can offer an improvement on important aspects such as yield, quality, reliability and disease resistance.
• Helal Seeds decided to start breeding program on hybrid maize for seed production and multiplication in 2016, due to increased demand for high-quality seeds.
• FAO and ICARDA are constantly encouraging the involvement of private seed sector companies by funding VBSEs to get involved in seed production.
Key Deliverables in the Study
• Market analysis, with crop-specific assessments and competition analysis
• Market overview and identification, and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the Afghanistan seeds market and instrumental in changing the market scenario, on both, global and regional scale
• Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies and their market share, along with an analysis of their current strategic interests and financial information and strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market
Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.Download eBook