Packaging Industry in Germany - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 2025)
The packaging industry in Germany is expected to register a CAGR of over 4.1% during the forecast period (2020-2025). With a production volume approximated to hover around EUR 4.1 billion a year Germany's packaging machine segment is projected to be the number two in the world, behind the US and ahead of Japan and Italy.
- The country is witnessing demand for smaller pack sizes in some packaged food and personal care industries. This trend is further expected to intensify over the forecast period. The increase in terms of smaller or single-person households, the demand for convenience through on-the-go packaging and resealability, and the best-before date strongly benefit the demand in the packaging materials used in the categories of sauces, dressings and condiments, confectionery, and processed fruit and vegetables.
- The increasing employability of women has helped the disposable income saw an upward trend. Further, the high birthrate of newborns in the country is influencing the demand for packaged baby food.
- The consumption of flexible plastics is expected to grow driven by advantages in a lightweight, demand for smaller more convenient packaging and improvements in design.
- Over the forecast period, the products that are considered as green packaging is expected to find high deployment owing to the increasing regulations against a high degree of plastic pollution. Owing to such restrictions, paper and glass packaging are anticipated to witness high demand in the industry with a substitution possibility for plastics.
Scope of the Report
Materials such as plastics, glass, and metals are considered in the scope of the study. The type of packaging of these materials such as rigid and flexible are also considered. The machinery that is used for packaging is not considered in the scope of the market studied.
Key Market Trends
Plastic Packaging to Hold Dominant Share
- Being the largest producer of chemicals and plastics in Europe, Germany is Europe's leading packaging industry.
- According to current trend assessments, the German Plastics Packaging Industry Association is expecting a 5.1% increase in sales for German plastic packaging production in the current year and a 3.9% increase in volume.
- Compared to other packaging products, consumers have shown an increasing inclination towards plastic packaging, as plastic packages are lightweight and easier to handle. Similarly, even the big manufacturers prefer to use plastic packaging solutions, because of their lower cost of production.
- One noticeable increases are apparent in all segments. In individual product groups such as bottles, price increases in raw material have become noticeable which are reflected in higher revenue growth. If the trend continues as expected this year, sector turnover will reach 15.5 billion euros.
- Furthermore, the plastic packaging market is expected to gradually favor the use of flexible solutions over rigid plastic materials owing to various advantages they offer such as better handling and disposal, cost-effectiveness, greater visual appeal, and convenience.
The packaging market is competitive because of the presence of many players running their business in national and international boundaries. The market is mildly concentrated with the presence of major players like AMCOR Limited, Bemis Company, Inc. and Berry Plastics Corporation among others. Mergers and acquisitions of relevant businesses and it's business units for strategic growth have been a recurring phenomenon and global trend in the packaging market.
- May 2019 - Amcor Limited and Bemis Company, Inc. announced that regulatory clearance has been received from the US Department of Justice in relation to the combination of the two companies. A condition of this approval is the previously announced sale of certain Amcor assets located in the US to Tekni-Plex, Inc.
- February 2019 - Amcor Limited launched Genesis, a new in-store recyclable laminate solution. Targeting a wide range of segments, including fresh fruits and vegetables, frozen food, dried fruits, nuts, confectionery, chilled goods, and pet food. The product is adaptable to a variety of packaging types and is appropriate for certain medical, home, and personal care markets.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
This publisher does offer titles that are created upon receipt of order. If you are purchasing a PDF Email Delivery option above, the report will take approximately 2 business days to prepare and deliver.
- 1 INTRODUCTION
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
- 2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- 3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- 4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Increased Demand for Convenient Packaging
- 4.3.2 Increased Emphasis for Product Differentiation
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 Growing Stringent Regulations Regarding Non Biodegradable Materials
- 4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.7 Technology Snapshot
- 5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Material
- 5.1.1 Glass
- 5.1.2 Plastic
- 5.1.3 Metal
- 5.1.4 Other Materials
- 5.2 By Packaging Type
- 5.2.1 Rigid
- 5.2.2 Flexible
- 5.3 By End-user Vertical
- 5.3.1 Food
- 5.3.2 Beverage
- 5.3.3 Pharmaceutical
- 5.3.4 House Hold and Personal Care
- 5.3.5 Other End-user Verticalss
- 6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Amcor Ltd.
- 6.1.2 Ball Corporation
- 6.1.3 Crown Holdings Incorporated
- 6.1.4 International Paper Co.
- 6.1.5 Mondi PLC
- 6.1.6 Owens-Illinois Inc.
- 6.1.7 Reynolds Group Holdings Ltd.
- 6.1.8 Sealed Air Corporation
- 6.1.9 Smurfit Kappa Group PLC
- 6.1.10 WestRock Co.
- 6.1.11 Berry Plastics GmbH
- 6.1.12 Bemis Company Inc.
- 7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
- 8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS