Japan Whey Protein Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 2025)
The Japanese whey protein market is projected to register a CAGR of 8.3% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025).
- The growing consumer attention toward whey protein is due to its functional benefits. It has become the choice of the fitness-oriented Japanese consumers, creating a demand for products containing whey in the country.
- Whey proteins are widely used as food ingredients due to their highly nutritious and useful functional properties. Thus, they are considered important elements required for optimum human and infant health, which drives the market studied.
- Fonterra accounts for the prominent share of the market. The company uses milk processed at its Wynyard factory to supply whey protein concentrate, a key ingredient in dairy products, like yogurt, dairy beverages, and snack bars.
Key Market Trends
Whey Protein Concentrates are Driving the Market
Whey protein concentrate is widely considered to be the most efficient and economical form of protein for the human body to digest and use. The concentrates are micro-filtered and not heat treated to produce ultra-pure protein, thereby offering bulk nutrients to the consumers. This process ensures the protein stays intact and as pure as it can be. It also means the powder can be mixed easily and achieve a smooth texture, giving the perfect protein shake. Numerous global and local players are engaged in the production of whey protein concentrates to satiate the growing consumer demand of the country.
Sports and Performance Nutrition Dominates the Market
In Japan, consumers who are willing to live a healthy and active lifestyle and the ones who are recreationally active are increasingly opting for some type of sports nutrition products to complement their work-out sessions and obtain more purified nutrients. These products are effective to produce the desired physique, as they are considered a complete protein that is easy to digest. They also improve the overall protein intake of the body. Thus, the consumer demand for whey protein in various forms, such as powders and supplements, is increasing in Japan.
The Japanese whey protein market is fragmented, with the presence of global players competing with regional and local players, while following varied strategies. ArlaFoods, Glanbia, and Fonterra Group are the most active companies in the market. Product innovations and partnerships account for the major strategies adopted by key players.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This publisher does offer titles that are created upon receipt of order. If you are purchasing a PDF Email Delivery option above, the report will take approximately 2 business days to prepare and deliver.
- 1 INTRODUCTION
- 1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
- 2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- 3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- 3.1 Market Overview
- 4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Drivers
- 4.2 Market Restraints
- 4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Type
- 5.1.1 Whey Protein Concentrates
- 5.1.2 Whey Protein Isolates
- 5.1.3 Hydrolyzed Whey Proteins
- 5.2 By Application
- 5.2.1 Sports and Performance Nutrition
- 5.2.2 Infant Formula
- 5.2.3 Functional/Fortified Food
- 6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
- 6.2 Market Share Analysis
- 6.3 Company Profiles
- 6.3.1 Glanbia PLC
- 6.3.2 Morinaga Milk Industry Co. Ltd
- 6.3.3 Lactalis Ingredients
- 6.3.4 Fonterra Co-operative Group
- 6.3.5 Arla Foods Ingredients Group
- 6.3.6 Royal FrieslandCampina
- 7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS