- 1. Introduction
- 1.1 Research Methodology
- 1.2 Scope of the Report
- 2. Executive Summary
- 3. Market Insights
- 3.1 Supply Chain Overview
- 3.2 Technological Snapshot
- 3.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 3.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 3.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 3.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 3.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 3.3.5 Degree of Competition
- 3.4 Price Analysis
- 4. Market Dynamics
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Improvements in Fracking Technology
- 4.1.2 Increasing Usage of Frac Sand (Quantity per Well)
- 4.1.3 Increasing Shale Gas Production Activities
- 4.2 Restraint
- 4.2.1 Environmental Concerns and Legislations
- 4.3 Opportunities
- 4.3.1 Shifting Focus towards the Usage of Ceramic Proppants
- 5. Market Segmentation and Analysis
- 5.1 By Product type
- 5.1.1 Frac Sand
- 5.1.2 Resin Coated
- 5.1.3 Ceramic
- 5.2 Asia-Pacific
- 5.2.1 China
- 5.2.2 India
- 5.2.3 Japan
- 5.2.4 South Korea
- 5.2.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.3 North America
- 5.3.1 United States
- 5.3.2 Canada
- 5.3.3 Mexico
- 5.3.4 Rest of North America
- 5.4 Europe
- 5.4.1 Germany
- 5.4.2 United Kingdom
- 5.4.3 Italy
- 5.4.4 France
- 5.4.5 Rest of Europe
- 5.5 South America
- 5.5.1 Brazil
- 5.5.2 Argentina
- 5.5.3 Rest of South America
- 5.6 Middle East & Africa
- 5.6.1 Saudi Arabia
- 5.6.2 South Africa
- 5.6.3 Rest of Middle East & Africa
- 6. Future of the Market
- 7. Competitive Landscape
- 7.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations and Agreements
- 7.2 Market Share Analysis**
- 7.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 8. Company Profiles (Overview, Financials**, Products & Services, Recent Developments, Analyst View)
- 8.1 Badger Mining Corp.
- 8.2 Baker Hughes Inc.
- 8.3 Carbo Ceramics Inc.
- 8.4 Coorstek Inc.
- 8.5 Eager Materials Inc.
- 8.6 EOG Resources Inc.
- 8.7 Emerge Energy Services (Superior Silica Sands)
- 8.8 Fairmount Santrol
- 8.9 Fores Ltd.
- 8.10 Halliburton
- 8.11 Hexion Inc.
- 8.12 HI Crush Partners LP
- 8.13 Imerys
- 8.14 Mississippi Sand LLC
- 8.15 Preferred Sands LLC
- 8.16 Saint-Gobain, North America
- 8.17 Schlumberger Ltd.
- 8.18 U.S. Silica
- 8.19 Unimin Energy Solutions
- 8.20 *List Not Exhaustive
- 9. Disclaimer
- 10. **Subject to Feasibility & Availability on Public Domain
Global Proppants Market - Segmented by Technology, by Application, and Geography - Growth, Trends and Forecasts (2018 - 2023)
The global proppants market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 7.1% during the forecast period, 2018-2023. The market demand for proppants is likely to be driven by the growing industrialization and increased need of energy, which has led to improvements in hydraulic fracturing technologies, followed by commercial extraction of unconventional gases, which has further resulted in significant growth in the demand for proppants. Proppants play an integral role in the fracking process
INCREASING USAGE OF FRAC SAND (QUANTITY PER WELL)
Frac sands are mixed with water and different chemicals to fracture shale formations to unleash oil & natural gas reserves. Companies like US Silica (a leading producer of silica sands and Frac sands) have produced an even more premium quality frac sand that is coated with an oily resin, which allows crude oil to slip past more easily. The manufacturing of higher quality frac sands is further expected to increase the demand for frac sands. Furthermore, in response to the upcoming demand of frac sands, largest providers of fracking services like Halliburton, has more than doubled its fleet of ralicars and increased the capacity of its sand terminals where sand is reloaded from trains to trucks. The trend of further optimization techniques in fracking is increasing demand for frac sand in per well.
Frac Sand to Dominate the Market
Frac sand's market share has increased from 80% in 2012 to ~95% in 2017 in the total proppants market by volume in North America, owing to its efficiency, low cost and availability. Frac sand proppants are the most widely used category of proppants for hydraulic fracturing in North America. Frac Sand proppants are made out of highly pure and durable sand with round grains. They are majorly made out of sandstone or bauxite. Their size ranges from about 0.1 millimeter in diameter to 2 millimeter in diameter, depending on the requirement of the fracking job.
United States to Lead the Market
The United States is estimated to account 71.7% market share by volume in North American region in 2017. The country is one of the leading country globally in terms of exploration of unconventional crude oil reserves and application of hydraulic fracturing for the same. The amount of oil produced from hydraulically fractured wells has been increasing significantly in comparison to the oil produced from the conventionally fractured wells. The number of hydraulically fractured wells has risen to approximately 300,000 with large contributions from the Bakken formation, Eagle Ford formation and Permian Basin.
The rising hydraulic fracturing applications in the United States, especially for shale gas and tight oil purposes has a positive impact on the demand for proppants. Frac sand is the most widely used proppant while resin-coated and ceramic sands are used for specific applications involving greater production depths and thermal resistance. Despite the recent drop in the crude oil prices, the natural gas exports of the country are propelling thus growing the production demand from the majorly producing Shale formations.
Notable Developments in the market
- In July 2017, Baker Hughes and GE Oil & Gas completed the merge creating the world’s first and only full-stream oil and gas company.
- In July 2017, Badger Mining plans new frac sand mine.
Major Key Players: SAINT-GOBAIN PROPPANTS, HEXION INC., SUPERIOR SILICA SANDS AND OTHER PLAYERS INCLUDE CARBO CERAMICS, FORES, HALLIBURTON, BAKER HUGHES, SANTROL, UNIMIN CORPORATION, BOROVICHI REFRACTORIES PLANT (BORPROP), BADGER MINING, HI-CRUSH PARTNERS LP, MOMENTIVE SPECIALITY CHEMICALS INC., YIXING ORIENT PETROLEUM PROPPANT CO. LTD, SUPERIOR SILICA SANDS, TEXAS SILICA, U.S. SILICA HOLDINGS INC.Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Market analysis for the global proppants market, with region-specific assessments and competition analysis on a global and regional scale.
- Market definition along with the identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenario and prospective opportunities.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their market share.
- Identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the global proppants market on both, global and regional scales.
- A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information.
- Insights on the major countries/regions where this industry is growing and identify the regions that are still untapped.
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet in excel.
This publisher does offer titles that are created upon receipt of order. If you are purchasing a PDF Email Delivery option above, the report will take approximately 2 business days to prepare and deliver.