Global Ophthalmic Drugs Market - Segmented by Drugs and Geography - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2018 - 2023)
The global ophthalmic drugs market is expected to register a CAGR of 4.15% during the forecast period of 2018–2023. North America dominates the ophthalmic drugs market due to the presence of well-established healthcare facilities and rise in the geriatric population in the country.
Rise in Cataract Volume
Cataract volume has seen a rapid increase in recent years. While the aging population is expected to burden all areas of healthcare, ophthalmologists provide approximately 90% of their procedure-based services to seniors. Cataract surgery is the most frequent surgical procedure performed in many countries, providing significant improvements in the quality of life to the elderly population at a low cost.
Other factors, such as availability of new drugs and the prevalence of eye diseases are going to drive the market.
Strict FDA Guidelines for Drug Approval
There are many regulations by agencies, such as the FDA, to ensure the safety and efficacy of the products. Tighter regulations on the label contents are being seriously enforced as there were frequent occurrences of violation.
The cost of complying with FDA guidelines will drive many small pharmacies out of business or force them to consolidate. For example, these regulations would impose a beyond-use date for bevacizumab and other biologics of only five days, but it takes 14 days just to test the sterility of these drugs. This would mean that the regulations for compounded ophthalmic drugs besides bevacizumab, such as ophthalmic mitomycin, triamcinolone acetonide, and moxifloxacin hydrochloride injection, will become much more expensive, or even unavailable.
Additionally, increasing healthcare cost and economic slowdown in developed countries is also restraining the market.
North America to Dominate the Market
According to the American Academy of Ophthalmology over 27.1 million of North American population is suffering from Primary Open Angle Glaucoma (POAG) and this number is constantly rising. Thus, increasing eye disorders is fueling the growth of the global ophthalmic drugs market.
Key Developments in the Market
- November 2017: Bausch & Lomb got Vyzulta approved for reduction of intraocular pressure in patients with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
- December 2017: Spark Therapeutics developed Luxturna, which is specifically indicated for vision loss, got FDA approval.
The major players include Alcon, Allergan, Bausch & Lomb Incorporated, Bayer AG, Hoya Corporation, Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc., Novartis AG, Pfizer, Inc. Santen Pharmaceuticals Co., Ltd, and Valeant, among others.
Reasons to Purchase The Report
- Market analysis for the ophthalmic drugs market, with region-specific assessments and competition analysis on a global and regional scale.
- Analyzing various perspectives of the industry with the help of Porter’s Five Forces Analysis.
- Identify the treatment type that is expected to dominate the market.
- Identify the regions that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period.
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3-month analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel).
This publisher does offer titles that are created upon receipt of order. If you are purchasing a PDF Email Delivery option above, the report will take approximately 2 business days to prepare and deliver.
- 1. Introduction
- 1.1 Market Definition
- 2. Research Methodology
- 3. Executive Summary
- 4. Key Inferences
- 5. Market Overview
- 5.1 Current Market Scenario
- 5.2 Porter’s Five Force Analysis
- 5.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 5.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 5.2.3 Degree of Competition
- 5.2.4 Threat of Substitution
- 5.2.5 Threat of New Entrants
- 6. Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, And Challenges (DROC) Analysis
- 6.1 Drivers
- 6.1.1 Demographic Shift and Impact of Prevalence of Eye Diseases
- 6.1.2 Availability of New Drugs
- 6.1.3 Growth in Cataract Volume
- 6.2 Restraints
- 6.2.1 Increasing Healthcare Costs
- 6.2.2 Economic Slowdown in Developed Markets
- 6.2.3 Strict FDA Guidelines for Drug Approval
- 6.3 Opportunities
- 6.4 Challenges
- 7. Market Segmentation
- 7.1 By Drugs
- 7.1.1 Anti-glaucoma Drugs
- 7.1.2 Ophthalmic Infection Drugs
- 7.1.3 Ophthalmic Inflammation Drugs
- 7.1.4 Ophthalmic Lubricants
- 7.1.5 Mydriasis Drugs
- 7.1.6 Ophthalmic Swelling
- 7.2 By Geography
- 7.2.1 North America
- 126.96.36.199 US
- 188.8.131.52 Canada
- 184.108.40.206 Mexico
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of North America
- 7.2.2 Europe
- 18.104.22.168 Germany
- 22.214.171.124 UK
- 126.96.36.199 France
- 188.8.131.52 Italy
- 184.108.40.206 Spain
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
- 7.2.3 Asia-Pacific
- 18.104.22.168 Japan
- 22.214.171.124 China
- 126.96.36.199 India
- 188.8.131.52 South Korea
- 184.108.40.206 Australia
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 7.2.4 Middle East & Africa
- 18.104.22.168 GCC
- 22.214.171.124 South Africa
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of the Middle East & Africa
- 7.2.5 South America
- 188.8.131.52 Brazil
- 184.108.40.206 Argentina
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
- 8. Competitive Landscape
- 8.1 Mergers & Acquisitions
- 8.2 Agreements, Collaborations, and Partnerships
- 8.3 New Product Launches
- 9. Key Players
- 9.1 Alcon
- 9.2 Allergan
- 9.3 Bausch & Lomb Incorporated
- 9.4 Bayer AG
- 9.5 Hoya Corporation
- 9.6 Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc.
- 9.7 Novartis AG
- 9.8 Pfizer Inc.
- 9.9 Santen Pharmaceuticals Co. Ltd
- 9.10 Valeant
- *List Not Exhaustive
- 10. Future of the Market