Global Offshore AUV and ROV Market - Growth Trends and Forecasts (2018 - 2023)
Oil & gas production is rapidly making a shift to deeper subsea regions. The subsea environment is the most remote and unexplored on earth. Working in this environment makes monitoring and intervention much more difficult, and raises unique challenges and often some environmental issues. Harsh environmental conditions have led to the rapid development of autonomous underwater vehicles (AUV) and remotely operated vehicles (ROV) technology. AUVs and ROVs are used for inspection, maintenance, and repair of offshore equipment.
Decreasing Offshore Oil Production Breakeven Price
Five billion barrels of pre-sanctioned offshore oil & gas reserves now breakeven at USD 50 per barrel or lower, due to better process efficiency and cost savings through sustainable exercises, such as major changes in drilling strategy to optimize production. Therefore, some of the offshore projects, considered commercially unviable two years ago, are being reconsidered now. Increasing number of offshore wells in harsh environments, escalation in demand for energy and petrochemicals, need for ocean data and mapping and growing capabilities of AUV’s and ROV’s are some of the factors driving the market. Technological advancements in offshore systems have opened up new frontiers, enabled safer operations, and increased the capabilities of AUV’s and ROV’s.
Technological Development – Drives the Market
In offshore sector, technology has increased and upgraded the security of offshore equipment, which has helped meet the increasing environmental regulations. Rapid advancements in technology are expected to continue to engineer further growth in the oil & gas unmanned vehicles sector. Smart devices will enable improved operational management and better risk management. Advanced materials will offer safer operations in difficult environments.
Uncertainty in Oil Prices – Restrains the Market Growth
On the flip side, an eccentric oil & gas market, oil price uncertainties and some technological limitations are hindering the growth of the market. ROV’s have a much bigger and mature market than AUV’s, but latter’s market is expected to grow significantly.
Middle East is expected to Experience Significant Growth
The offshore activity in the Middle Eastern region has seen growth since 2015, despite low oil prices. The substantial improvement in oil price scenario, since 2015, is expected boost the offshore activity in the region in turn driving ROV market. But the use of the drivers rather than ROVs for the majority of operations has caused the Middle Eastern region to capture a relatively small share in global ROV market.
Petrobras’s Financial Crisis is expected to restrain the Market in Brazil
Brazil is the biggest AUV & ROV market in South America, as more than 50% of the offshore drilling and production activity of South America takes place in the country. Petrobras, national oil company and biggest E&P operator in Brazil, is suffering from financial crisis and corruption scandals, which may constrain the offshore activity in Brazil, in turn restraining the AUV & ROV market in the region.
Key Developments in the market
- Jan 2018: US Interior Department announced that it will allow drilling in nearly all US waters. This is the single-largest expansion of offshore oil & gas leasing by federal government in the history of the United States.
- Dec 2017: Lebanon government held its first offshore licensing round. The consortium composed of Total SA Eni International BV, and JSC Novatek won the licenses for exploration in two blocks.
Key players: DEEPOCEAN, DOF SUBSEA HOLDING AS, FMC TECHNOLOGIES Inc., FORUM ENERGY TECHNOLOGIES, FUGRO SUBSEA SERVICES LIMITED, HELIX ENERGY SOLUTIONS Inc., OCEANEERING INTERNATIONAL, SAAB SEAEYE LIMITED, OCEAN AERO Inc., SUBSEA7 SA, TELEDYNE BENTHOSReasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyze the effect of the oil prices, new technological and strategic developments in the oil industry and government regulations on the global AUV & ROV market.
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis.
- Identify which end-user industry is expected to dominate the market.
- Identify which regions are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period and why.
- Identify the latest developments, market shares and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
This publisher does offer titles that are created upon receipt of order. If you are purchasing a PDF Email Delivery option above, the report will take approximately 2 business days to prepare and deliver.
- 1. Executive Summary 2. Research Methodology
- 3. Market Overview
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast Until 2023
- 3.3 Recent Developments
- 3.4 Government Policies and Regulations
- 4. Market Dynamics
- 4.1 Market Drivers
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.3 Opportunities
- 5. Value Chain Analysis
- 6. Porter’s Five Forces Framework
- 6.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 6.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 6.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 6.4 Threat of Substitute Products & Services
- 6.5 Competitive Rivalry within the Industry
- 7. Global Offshore AUV & ROV Market, by Type
- 7.1 ROV
- 7.1.1 Small Electric ROV
- 7.1.2 High Capability Electric Vehicles
- 7.1.3 Observation and Data Collection ROV
- 7.1.4 Ultra Deep Heavy Work Class ROV
- 7.2 AUV
- 8. Global Offshore AUV and ROV Market, By Activity
- 8.1 Drilling & Development
- 8.2 Construction
- 8.3 Inspection, Repair & Maintenance
- 8.4 Decommissioning
- 8.5 Others
- 9. Global Offshore AUV and ROV Market, By Application
- 9.1 Oil & Gas
- 9.2 Military
- 9.3 Scientific Research
- 9.4 Others
- 10. Global Offshore AUV & ROV Market, By Geography
- 10.1 North America
- 10.1.1 US
- 10.1.2 Canada
- 10.1.3 Mexico
- 10.2 Europe
- 10.2.1 Norway
- 10.2.2 UK
- 10.2.3 Rest of Europe
- 10.3 Asia-Pacific
- 10.3.1 China
- 10.3.2 India
- 10.3.3 Australia
- 10.3.4 Malaysia
- 10.3.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 10.4 South America
- 10.4.1 Brazil
- 10.4.2 Argentina
- 10.4.3 Rest of South America
- 10.5 Middle East & Africa
- 10.5.1 Nigeria
- 10.5.2 Angola
- 10.5.3 Rest of Middle East & Africa
- 11. Key Company Analysis* (Overview, Products, Financials**, Recent Developments, and Analyst View)
- 11.1 DeepOcean
- 11.2 DOF Subsea Holding AS
- 11.3 FMC Technologies Inc.
- 11.4 Forum Energy Technologies
- 11.5 Fugro Subsea Services Limited
- 11.6 Helix Energy Solutions Inc.
- 11.7 Oceaneering International
- 11.8 Saab Seaeye Limited
- 11.9 Ocean Aero Inc.
- 11.10 Subsea7 SA
- 11.11 Teledyne Benthos
- *List is not exhaustive
- 12. Competitive Landscape
- 12.1 Mergers and Acquisitions
- 12.2 Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 13. Appendix
- 13.1 Contact Us
- 13.2 Disclaimer
- ** Subjected to availability in public domain