Global Ethylene Oxide Market - Segmented by Products, End-User Industry, and Geography – Growth, Trends, and Forecasts (2017 - 2022)
The global ethylene oxide market valued at USD XX million by revenue and XX kilotons by volume in 2016, and is projected to register an estimated CAGR of XX% in terms of revenue and XX% in terms of volume, during 2017-2022 (the forecast period). The demand for ethylene oxide is driven by the increasing production of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles used to package water and carbonated drinks.A versatile and valuable building block of chemistry, ethylene oxide, and its derivatives are used in the manufacture of everyday products, such as plastics, household cleaners, polyurethanes, and ointments. Ethylene glycol and its byproducts are the major consumer of ethylene oxide, worldwide, out of which monoethylene glycol (MEG) is used extensively in the textile industry for the manufacture of polyester fabrics and resins, as well as in automobile industry as an antifreeze and cooling agent. About 45% of the ethylene glycol produced is used for the production of PET bottles, PET resin containers, polyester resin films, polyurethanes, and plasticizers. Higher glycols like diethylene and triethylene glycols (DEG, TEG) are used in lubricants, lacquers, solvents, gas drying, pharmaceutical preparations, humectants, latex surface coatings, and cosmetics. This segment is anticipated to be one of the key trends impelling the growth prospects of ethylene oxide market, during 2017-2022 (the forecast period).Another significant consumer of ethylene oxide is the family of ethoxylates that is used in the production of detergents, surfactants, emulsifiers and dispersants, and ethanolamines (MEA, DEA, TEA), which are further utilized in chemicals for textile finishing, cosmetics, soaps, detergents, and natural gas purification. The growing demand for household cleaning products is contributing to the market growth. Other downstream products of ethylene oxide, like ethylene glycol ethers, and polyalkylene glycols, are used in brake fluids, detergents, solvents, lacquers, paints, and antifoam agents. Commercially, ethylene oxide is produced by direct oxidation of ethylene in the presence of a silver catalyst, superseding the earlier use of ethylene chlorohydrin. New manufacturing processes involving the hydration of ethanol in place of ethylene has also gained traction, especially in China.Ethylene oxide gas is used as an excellent disinfectant, sterilizing agent, and fumigant, when in a non-explosive mixture of nitrogen, carbon dioxide or dichlorofluoromethane. It is often used to sterilize heat-sensitive surgical instruments in hospitals or to remove pests and microorganisms from spices, furs, etc. However, being highly inflammable and potentially mutagenic, its imports and exports are tightly regulated. At a high level of exposure, ethylene oxide becomes toxic to the environment, especially for aquatic animals, which may act as a roadblock to the market growth. Moreover, the shortage of crude oil reserves and volatile raw material prices have made the major players look for other bio-derived alternatives.
AREAS WITH SCOPE FOR ETHYLENE OXIDE:In 2016, Asia-Pacific, led mainly by China, emerged as a major ethylene oxide consumer, responsible for nearly 65% of global consumption, followed by Europe, and the United States. Increasing demand for PET bottles and polyester fabrics, in China, is expected to boost the consumption rate, which will make the country a leading global consumer of ethylene oxide, during 2017-2022 (the forecast period). Moreover, the growing demand for household and personal care products in developing countries, like India, China, and Thailand, is expected to drive the demand for ethylene oxide. Due to the mature markets of the United States and Western Europe, a sluggish growth will be observed, during 2017-2022 (the forecast period).
NOTABLE DEVELOPMENTS IN THE MARKET
• In Jul 2017, Pemex Etileno, a subsidiary of Petróleos Mexicanos, successfully concluded the e-auction to adjudicate quantities of ethylene oxide, which were bided to 10 companies.
• In Nov 2016, CNOOC and Shell Petrochemicals Company Limited (CSPC), the joint venture of Shell Nanhai and China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC), gained the official ownership of a new petrochemical complex constructed in Huizhou, Guangdong Province. Shell is expected to apply its proprietary OMEGA and polyols technologies, in order to produce 150,000 ton per annum (tpa) of ethylene oxide by the last quarter of 2017.
Why purchase our Global Ethylene oxide Market Report?
• Will the growing automotive industry accelerate the growth of ethylene oxide market?
• Know about: the latest regulations and policies associated with ethylene oxide
• How will the emergence of new ethanol production process affect the ethylene oxide market?
• Analyzing various market perspectives with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
• What would be the global impact of Shell’s new joint venture on ethylene oxide production?
• Which of the regions will witness the fastest growth during forecast period?
• Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players, such as:
o The Dow Chemicals
o Eastern Petrochemical Company Ltd. (SHARQ)
o BASF SE
o Formosa Plastics
o Saudi Arabia Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC)