Global Energy Management Systems Market - Segmented by Type of Energy (HEMS, BEMS, IEMS), End user (Manufacturing, Power & Energy, IT & Telecommunications), Application, Components and Geography - Growth, Trends and Forecasts (2018 - 2023)
The global energy management systems market was valued at USD 22.96 billion in 2017 and is expected to reach a value of USD 49.35 billion by 2023 at a CAGR of 13.78% over the forecast period, 2018-2023. The scope of the report is limited to solutions offered by major players, including providers of hardware, software, and services. While the regions considered in the scope of the report include North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. The study also emphasizes on the measures adopted by the industries in the market toward energy management.
Owing to the increasing use of smart grid services, growing competition among industrial enterprises, and supporting government policies and incentives associated with energy efficiency, the market is expected to witness considerable growth in the future. Currently, the world faces the problem of energy security and inefficient access to electricity because of which various initiatives are being taken to effectively manage the energy sources. Due to the increasing environmental concerns regarding extinction of conventional energy sources, it is necessary to shift toward the use of renewable energy sources. These concerns call for efficient energy management, which has prompted many countries to generate electricity through renewable sources. China emerged as the leader in the installed renewable energy capacity industry in 2016, with a combined capacity of 545.21 gigawatt. However, lack of skilled personnel challenges the market from growing exponentially.
Increasing Usage of Smart Grids Will Drive the Market Growth
In an increasingly complex world, fazed by a robust energy demand and aging electricity infrastructure, the implementation of a smart grid is crucial in making worldwide energy supply more reliable, energy-efficient, and sustainable as it monitors, measures, and manages the transport of electricity. Further, smart grids are an essential element for expanding the use of some technologies, such as electric vehicles and renewable energy sources, such as wind energy, geothermal power, and solar heat and power. Moreover, the combination of power grids with 5G technology will offer growth opportunities to the market. The companies are examining use cases of the emerging 5G technology in the power grid, as part of the 5Grid project in Berlin, for studying the impact of 5G on the energy sector. The smart grid projects are increasingly being funded by the governments, to develop a sustainable solution for the growing energy demands across the globe. For instance, in the United States, companies, like Honeywell, General Electric, Trilliant Networks, and Itron, have received funding between USD 60 and 300 million. Thus, the smart grid expenditure in the country has consistently increased over the past four years, a trend which is expected to continue over the forecast period.
Manufacturing Industry Will Account for a Significant Share
The manufacturing centers have equipment installed that run continuously, critical to the plant operations. The industries are making efforts to optimize their carbon footprint by using energy management systems. The companies are under pressure to implement energy management systems because of the strict regulations regarding the control of environmental emissions. The customers in the market are also growing sensitive to the products they use, and changing preferences toward eco-friendly products, which is also expected to encourage the growth of the energy management systems in the industry. Energy management systems are present in the market for specific needs of the manufacturing industry that will help them either use less energy or not emit harmful gases into the environment. With the electricity prices increasing worldwide, the companies have started implementing these systems to gain a better control over energy use and spend.
North America is Expected to Lead the Market with the Largest Share
North American market will be driven by the increasing number of smart buildings, green infrastructure, rising energy demands, and adoption of EMS across various verticals, such as manufacturing, energy & power, and construction, primarily in the United States and Canada. North America is a huge manufacturing hub, and the usage of energy increases, especially in sectors, like steel manufacturing, paper, automotive, and chemical. Moreover, an increase in the usage of EMS is expected because of the increasing regulations and policies enforced by the U.S. DOE and related agencies in North America. Because of stringent norms by DOE in the U.S., more companies are expected to start using EMS to reduce emissions. With the electricity rates increasing in the region, the companies will start using these systems to produce their electricity to power their manufacturing centers.
Major Players -IBM Corporation, Rockwell Automation Inc., Siemens Ag, Schneider Electric Co., Cisco Systems, Eaton Corporation, Honeywell International Inc., CA Technologies, SAP and General Electric Co., Tendril, Enernoc Inc., And Elster Group, among others.
Key Developments in the Market
- August 2017 - Aclara, which is a leading supplier of smart infrastructure solutions to electric, gas and water utilities, had acquired GE's majority equity position in General Electric Philippines Meter and Instrument Co. With this acquisition, Aclara acquired majority equity position in this joint venture by enhancing their global market leadership, as it helped them expand their international footprint into the growing ASEAN and APAC markets. This development further strengthened their ability to offer next-generation smart meters through a broad meter portfolio.
- April 2017 - ABB and IBM collaborated in industrial artificial intelligence solutions. ABB and IBM applied Watson’s capabilities to predict supply patterns in electricity generation and demand from historical and weather data, to enable utilities to optimize the operation and maintenance of the existing smart grids, which are facing increased complexity created by the new balance of conventional, as well as renewable power sources.
- February 2017 - Schneider Electric collaborated with ENGIE, to digitize the energy sector. This joint initiative was taken to explore and deploy new digital solutions for improving the operational efficiency of renewable assets, such as solar PV and wind, leveraging Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) related application software powered by Schneider Electric’s Wonderware brand. This partnership also demonstrated ENGIE’s desire to accelerate its digitization globally to lead the energy transition.
Reasons to Purchase the Report
- Impact of opportunities offered by smart cars, smart cities, and smart infrastructure initiatives
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- Growth of various hardware products, such as sensors and controllers
- Regional analysis of the market
- Identify the latest developments, market shares and strategies employed by major market players.
- 3 months of analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
Customization of the Report
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements.