Cancer Therapy Market - Segmented by Therapy Type (Chemotherapy, Targeted Therapy, Immunotherapy, Hormonal Therapy), Cancer Type, End User and Geography - Growth, Trends and Forecast (2018 - 2023)
The cancer therapy market was valued at USD 125730.7 million in 2017, is expected to register a CAGR of about 8.37% during the forecast period, 2018-2023. Cancer is one of the leading causes of morbidity and mortality, globally. Cancer therapies are drugs that block the growth and proliferation of cancer by interfering with specific molecules, such as DNA or proteins, which are involved in the growth or expansion of cancerous cells. Increasing Patient Assistance Programs (PAP’s), growing government initiatives for cancer awareness, rising prevalence of cancer worldwide, and strong R&D initiatives from Major Players are the major factors fueling the growth of the cancer therapy market.
Rising Prevalence of Cancer, Worldwide, Propels the Cancer Therapy Market
Cancer is one of the leading causes of morbidity and mortality, globally. According to World Health Organization (WHO), in 2015, cancer was the second leading cause of death accounting for 8.8 million deaths, worldwide, and the number of new cancer cases is expected to rise by about 70% over the next two decades. It has been identified that approximately 70% of deaths from cancer occur in low- and middle-income countries. Cancer rates could further increase by 50%, to 15 million new cases by 2020, as per World Cancer Report. The growing incidence and prevalence of cancer and launch of novel cancer therapy, coupled with increasing awareness about cancer cure and treatment, are likely to drive the growth of the global cancer therapy market during the forecast period.
Additionally, increasing Patient Assistance Programs (PAP’s), growing government initiatives for cancer awareness, and strong R&D Initiatives from Major Players are anticipated to drive the market for global cancer therapies.
The High Cost of Cancer Therapies Hinders the Growth of Cancer Therapy Market
The annual growth rate in cancer drug costs skyrocketed from 3.8% in 2011 to 11.5% in 2015, at a constant exchange rate. Growth in the American market rose from 2.0% to 13.9% during the same time period. The United States now accounts for almost 45% of the global market for oncology therapeutics, up from 39% in 2011, owing to the strengthening of the US dollar and the rapid adoption of innovative, novel and newer therapies. In the United States, oncology drugs account for more than 11.5% of the total drug costs, up from 10.5% in 2011. Net price growth in the United States, on established branded oncology drugs, had averaged an estimated 4.8% in 2015, as compared to 6.4% invoice price growth. Factors, such as longer duration of cancer therapies, availability of novel agents, and use of combination therapy are contributing to the rising cost of cancer therapy. Thus, rising cost of cancer therapies, coupled with fluctuation of reimbursement policies for cancer treatment across the globe, is likely to impede the growth of the global cancer therapy market.
Market Segmentation Insights for the Cancer Therapy Market
The global cancer therapy market has been segmented by therapy type, cancer type, by end user, and geography.
The therapy type is further segmented into chemotherapy, targeted therapy, immunotherapy (biologic therapy), hormonal therapy, etc. Chemotherapy is the segment which held the largest market share in 2017. It is the most common form of therapeutics used to stop or slow down the growth of cancer cells. Surgery and radiation therapy works by removing, killing, or damaging the cancer cells in a certain area, but chemotherapy works throughout the whole body. This means chemotherapy can kill and damage cancer cells that have spread to other parts of the body far away from the original tumor.
The type of cancer is further segmented into blood cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, skin cancer, respiratory/lung cancer, etc. Other type cancer includes colorectal, cervical, prostate, pancreatic cancer, gastric cancer, etc.
The end-user segment is segmented into hospitals, specialty clinics, and cancer and radiation therapy centers.
North America to Dominate the Cancer Therapy Market
North America dominates the global cancer therapy market, owing to high prevalence of cancer in the region because of a sedentary lifestyle, along with launch and growing adoption of novel cancer therapy in the region. USFDA is taking steps to enhance the growth of the cancer therapy market by approving drugs that are in clinical phase, thus, accelerating the clinical developments. Companies and research organizations are investing in R&D activities, hence, the market is expanding with a faster pace.
Key Developments in the Market
- February 2018- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company announced cancer deal with Nektar Therapeutics. As per the deal, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company will pay USD 1.85 billion to Nektar Therapeutics. The partnership is built around the Nektar drug, NKTR-214, which will be tested in combination with Bristol’s immuno-oncology (IO) drugs Opdivo and Opdivo and Yervoy in 20 cancer indications across nine different tumor types, including melanoma, kidney, and lung cancers
- January 2018- AstraZeneca and Merck & Co., Inc., received approval from US Food and Drug Administration, for Lynparza (olaparib), for use in patients with deleterious or suspected deleterious germline BRCA-mutated (gBRCAm), human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)-negative metastatic breast cancer.
Major Players -Amgen, AstraZeneca, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Bayer AG, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., GlaxoSmithKline PLC., Johnson & Johnson., Merck & Co. Inc., Novartis AG, Pfizer Inc., among others.
Reasons to Purchase Cancer Therapy Market Report
- Current and future global cancer therapies market outlook in the developed and emerging markets
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The segment that is expected to dominate the market
- Regions that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
Customize Cancer Therapy Market Report
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you to get a report that suits your needs.