Malaysia Outbound - November 2015
“Malaysian outbound travellers are value-seekers; they are always on the lookout for deals. They do not travel as extensively as their richer Singaporean neighbours, but this is a market with a lot of room for growth. Malaysia is being steered to become a high-income economy, and the number of middle-class consumers is forecast to increase, underscoring the immense potential this emerging market has.”
- Jessica Kelly, Senior Tourism Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
What is the current size of Malaysia’s outbound tourism market?
What are the future growth predictions for Malaysia’s outbound tourism market?
What are the macro-economic and industry factors shaping dynamic growth in Malaysia’s outbound market?
How are the infiltration of digital technology and low-cost carriers (LCCs) transforming Malaysia’s outbound market potential?
Who is the Malaysian outbound traveller?
- DATA SOURCES
- MARKET DRIVERS
- Figure 1: Mid-year population of Malaysia, 1950-2050
- Figure 2: Mid-year population of Malaysia, by gender & age groups, 2015 & 2050
- Figure 3: Key economic indicators for Malaysia, 2008-15
- EXCHANGE RATES
- Figure 4: Exchange rate between the Malaysian Ringgit & selected major currencies, 2008-14
- TOURISM BALANCE
- Figure 5: Tourism balance of Malaysia, 2008-14
- OUTBOUND TOURISM
- Figure 6: Outbound arrivals from Malaysia, 2008-15
- Figure 7: Outbound arrivals from Malaysia, by selected destinations, 2008-14
- MARKET CHARACTERISTICS
- PRE-BOOKING BEHAVIOUR AND BOOKING METHODS
- PURPOSE OF VISIT
- LENGTH OF STAY
- International traffic
- Figure 8: International terminal passengers in Malaysia, 2008-14
- Figure 9: International airlines with more than a 1% share at KLIA, 2014
- TOUR OPERATORS AND TRAVEL AGENCIES
- WHAT NEXT?
- Figure 10: Forecast outbound traffic from Malaysia, 2015-25
- INDEX TO TRAVEL & TOURISM ANALYST
- Index grouped by geographic area
- INDEX TO TTI DESTINATION REPORTS
- Country reports
- SPECIAL REPORTS INDEX