U.S. Physical Therapy Clinics: An Industry Analysis
This analysis by Marketdata examines the $34.5 billion outpatient physical and occupational centers sector - a steady growth industry. Speech therapy and audiologists are also included. The physical therapy business is highly fragmented, with the 50 largest competitors comprising less than 25% of the market, which makes it ripe for consolidation.
While there are a few national companies, the industry consists predominantly of small to medium regional providers with annual revenue of slightly over $1 million.
This industry is experiencing heightened M&A activity from both strategic suitors and private equity investors.
Physical therapists work in hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, people’s homes, schools, sports and fitness facilities, work settings, and nursing homes.
This new study by Marketdata examines the nature of the industry, national receipts/growth from 2007 to 2023 forecast, customer and therapist demographics, key industry trends, industry structure and operating ratios (national and state Census data for establishments and firms), industry regulation, top companies market share, consolidation and roll-up potential, insurance/ Medicare reimbursement trends, and more.
9 Competitor Profiles for: U.S. Physical Therapy, ATI Physical Therapy, Select Medical / Physiotherapy Associates, Upstream Rehabilitation/ Drayer Physical Therapy, Athletico Physical Therapy, CORA Health Services, Pivot Physical Therapy, Professional Physical Therapy and PT Solutions.
- Report Scope and Methodology
- Sources and methodology used for the report, report scope.
- Nature & Structure of the Industry
- Definition and number of physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, and audiologists and what they do, who they work for and where.
- Demographic profile of physical therapists.
- Major industry trends and issues: diversification, technology changes, consolidation and the potential for roll-ups, increased patient engagement tools, merit-based incentives
- Industry structure: key metrics: no. of facilities, receipts, annual payroll, no. of employees, avg. receipts per facility – 2002, 2007, 2012
- Main operating models used by physical therapy centers
- Factors affecting demand for physical therapy (aging population, obesity, economic rationale)
- Operations: sources of revenue, typical patient volumes, revenues per patient visit, physical therapist salaries, facility profit margins (data for U.S. Physical Therapy for 2007-2018), Sample Profit & Loss Statement for an Average Physical Therapy Center: 2018
- Reimbursement situation discussion, requirements under Medicare
- - Physical Therapy Industry Snapshot: 2012, 2007, 2002
- - U.S. Physical Therapy company Gross Profit margins: 2007-2018
- - Number of Medicare Non-institutional Providers: 2013-2017
- Market Size, Growth, Forecasts
- Estimates of industry size and growth published by other research firms (IBIS World, Harris Williams Co. Health Value Group)
- Size / Receipts of Physical Therapy Services from 2007-2016, official government Census 5-year survey data and annual County Business Patterns data
- Marketdata estimates & forecasts of receipts for 2017-2019, 2023 F
- Discussion & analysis of historical growth trends, during last recession, recovery since then, current situation, rationale
- Discussion of major factors affecting industry growth: reimbursement, demand, aging of population, obesity, supply of therapists, etc.
- - Size of the U.S. Physical Therapy Market: 2007-2016
- - Annual Growth Rate of the Physical Therapy Market: 2007-2016
- - Forecast Size of the U.S. Physical Therapy Market: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023
- Customer Demographics
- Discussion and statistics related to population aging trends
- Discussion and statistics related to sports injuries
- Discussion and statistics related to back pain
- Discussion and statistics related to joint replacement surgery trends
- Discussion and statistics related to obesity trends
- Prevalence of obesity in the U.S. by state and region: 2000-2017
- Industry Economic Operating Ratios
- Summary of key industry metrics, NAICS code for the industry, what it includes
- - Industry snapshot: 2002, 2007, 2012: key ratios (payroll, no. estabs., receipts, Avg. receipts per estab.)
- - Annual % change in receipts: 2007-2016
- Industry ratios (no. of firms, establishments, receipts, payroll as % receipts for 2012) by:
- • legal form of organization -corporations, sole proprietorships, partnerships: no. of employees).
- • Single vs. multi-unit operations, by size (statistics as above)
- • Concentration Ratios: ratios for top 4, 8, 20, 50 largest firms
- • Receipts size of establishments (under $10,000 to $10+ mill.)
- • Receipts size of firms (under $100,000 to $100+ mill.)
- - No. of establishments, receipts & avg. receipts per establishment, by state: 2012
- - No. of establishments, receipts & avg. receipts per establishment, by state – 2016
- (County Business Patterns, Marketdata estimates)
- - Receipts by type of patient care (condition treated): 2012
- Competitor Profiles
- (description and history of company, no. of labs operated, address, specialties, acquisitions, services, financial data when available)
- • U.S. Physical Therapy
- • ATI Physical Therapy
- • Select Medical / Physiotherapy Associates
- • Upstream Rehabilitation/ Drayer Physical Therapy
- • Athletico Physical Therapy
- • PT Solutions
- • CORA Health Services
- • Pivot Physical Therapy
- • Professional Physical Therapy
- Reference Directory
- List of physical therapy national/regional trade associations, journals, consulting firms, reports, articles, other key contacts – address & phones, description of activities.