Sports Nutrition: Pumping Iron
This case study assesses the rise of sports nutrition, a market that is growing in many of the stagnant developed economies. It looks at the factors behind the growth, evaluates the market's potential and what could happen in the future.
Features and benefits
- An introduction to sports nutrition and the market structure.
- Examination of why the sports nutrition market has continued to grow strongly in economies where economic growth has been constrained for some time.
- Evaluation of the challenges the sports nutrition industry faces and possible avenues the industry could explore to maintain expansion.
Sports Nutrition is a broad term which covers a variety of products aimed at enhancing performance via nutrition. The market historically was the consideration of strength and endurance sports, but has recently expanded beyond these market niches to grow robustly, with all market players profiting.
Health concerns coupled with shrewd marketing have made the products accessible to ""active lifestyle"" consumers. Other factors such as product innovation and the accessibility of health clubs have also contributed. As such, the market has thrived, and has begun to shift its distribution channels, making it more accessible to a wider audience.
0While the market has enjoyed robust growth recently, there are some threats to market players. Regulation is one of the most potent, as some sports nutritional supplements have faced reputational damage when subject to a lawsuit or product recall. Sports Nutrition remains a complex product and lack of understanding may constrain growth.Your key questions answered
- What is Sports Nutrition?
- How has sports nutrition grown so strongly in recent years?
- What are the threats and challenges facing the sports nutrition industry?
- What does the future hold for sports nutrition?
- SPORTS NUTRITION IS BUILDING MASS
- What is Sports Nutrition?
- The Sports nutrition market has been growing
- The market's value has grown strongly with forecasts upbeat
- Market players are reaping the benefits
- Big Pharma also profiting
- THE SECRET TO SPORTS NUTRITITION'S GAINS
- Consumers are more concerned about health
- Gyms have remained accessible despite economic uncertainty
- The UK proves extremely receptive to budget gyms
- The US is adapting and continues to grow
- Innovation has made products more accessible
- Novo Bites: alternatives to potato chips
- Sports Nutrition companies' marketing strategies are working
- MusclePharm's new product range led to colossal gains
- The Arnold Schwarzenegger series: vindication of the sponsorship strategy?
- FitMiss: segmentation of marketing strategies?
- Sports Nutrition is marketed as part of a lifestyle change
- New distribution channels raise industry awareness
- THREATS TO SPORTS NUTRITION
- Sports Nutrition's ambiguous legal status
- Hydroxycut contained ephedra and was linked to liver failure
- GNC among retailers forced to stop selling mislabeled products
- Sports nutrition requires research to verify its claims
- Creatine's recent controversy
- An innovative market means high costs
- MusclePharm has continually made losses since inception
- Marketing campaigns can backfire
- The Protein World backlash: context
- The Protein World backlash
- The company reports increased sales despite controversy
- FUTURE PROSPECTS
- How sports nutrition can continue to make gains
- Could targeting older generations pay off?
- Developing economies
- Industry will tend towards consolidation
- The patent cliff may force rethink from Big Pharma
- Opportunity for artisanal products
- Strong growth but poor form risks injury
- Further Reading
- Ask the analyst
- About MarketLine