Philadelphia Milka Chocolate: Failing to account for the diversity of European consumers
In spring 2011, Mondelez International launched Philadelphia Milka, a variety of chocolate-flavored cream cheese, in Italy. Despite a successful performance in some other European countries, the product failed to gain traction, and was subsequently withdrawn from the Italian market in October 2014.
Features and benefits
- Learn about the Philadelphia-Milka product
- Understand the launch and marketing strategy for Philadelphia Milka in Italy.
- Analyze why the product ultimately failed in Italy but succeeded in the UK.
- Look at what could have been done differently to give the product a greater chance of success.
Your key questions answered
- The co-branded marketing strategy between Mondelez's Philadelphia and Milka brands failed to establish a clear product positioning among the Italian audience. Mondelez underestimated the importance of European consumers' differing preferences and diversity of habits.
- Capitalizing on the heritage of Italian cheese, the manufacturer could have paired the chocolate with a dairy by-product with a sweeter flavor, such as ricotta. A country-customized strategy is needed to successfully position a product in the heterogeneous European markets, especially for those countries with a strong food heritage.
- What is Philadelphia Milka spread?
- How was the spread launched and marketed in Italy?
- Why was Philadelphia Milka eventually withdrawn from the Italian market?
- What strategies and approaches could Mondelez have adopted to give Philadelphia Milka a better chance of success?
- HEALTHIER NUTELLA WITH MIXED PERFORMANCE IN EUROPE
- Philadelphia Milka has performed variably in the European market
- Philadelphia Milka seeks to offer a healthier alternative to Nutella
- FAILURE CAUSED BY POOR FIT FOR ITALIAN BREAKFAST TRENDS
- UK versus Italy: A clear positioning has driven a successful performance
- Philadelphia Milka was a poor fit for Italian breakfast trends
- A failure to develop effective targeting of snack occasions in Italy
- COUNTRY-SPECIFIC APPROACH AND HEALTH FOCUS SUCCESSFUL INNOVATION STRATEGIES
- Customizing an international product based on the specific European country's palate is a winning strategy
- Explore opportunities in high in protein dairy by-products to position “better-for-you alternatives
- Experimental Italian consumers are an open target for further innovative launches
- Philadelphia Milka failed as a result of poor local market understanding, but future for innovative launches exists
- Further Reading
- Ask the analyst
- About MarketLine