City Statistics Chartbook: Top 100 Global Cities
In an increasingly globalized and freely-trading world economy, the number of economically-important cities across the globe is growing rapidly. As developing regions continue to experience rapid and unsustainable economic growth the makeup of the global marketplace, and the relative importance of different regions, is changing constantly.
- The global economy has grown steadily in the past and despite two slowdowns in growth - during 2008-09 due to the Great Recession, and during 2014-16 due to political uncertainty and a loss of consumer confidence - is expected to continue this trend of steady growth.
- Cities in more mature economies, such as those in the West, tend to be larger and have lower levels of GDP growth than the smaller and rapidly growing economies across Asia.
- Population shares little in common with the GDP of a city, and instead those cities with the largest populations are typically large Asian cities such as Tokyo and Beijing.
Reasons to buy
- Identifies the largest cities in a particular region by GDP.
- Assesses their importance to the region in question in comparison to the rest of the major cities.
- Provides an overview of various demographic indicators to assess the health of a city.
- Provides a surface-level understanding of a particular region, its composition and what drives it.
- Allows businesses to identify potential target markets and demographics in order to drive successful business.
- How has the economy in the region developed in recent years?
- How is it expected to develop in the future?
- What are the largest cities in the region?
- What is the population and population structure of each of the top cities?
- How healthy is the employment market in each city and what drives growth?
- What is the average household income and expenditure in each city?
- What is the educational structure of the population of each city?
- Global Economic Overview
- Top 100 Global Cities Economic Overview
- Top 100 Global Cities Demographics
- Top 100 Global Cities Unemployment
- Top 100 Global Cities Employment
- Top 100 Global Cities Households
- Top 100 Global Cities Household Income & Expenditure
- Top 100 Global Cities GVA
- Top 100 Global Cities Education
- Top 100 Global Cities Appendix