City Statistics Chartbook: Top 20 African Cities
In an increasingly globalized and freely-trading world economy, the number of economically-important cities across the globe is growing rapidly. As developing regions continue to experience rapid and unsustainable economic growth the makeup of the global marketplace, and the relative importance of different regions, is changing constantly.
- Africa is one of the poorest regions on the planet, and it has experienced erratic GDP growth. At the turn of the century it struggled with considerable GDP losses due to conflict and political turmoil. In recent years the top cities have experienced moderate growth, but the region as a whole has struggled to grow.
- Per capita GDPs are very low across Africa, with every top city having per capita GDPs of less than $7,000. Growth rates are also expected to remain low and as the region is expected to grow it is unlikely to be passed on to the citizens.
- While populations are low, population growth is fairly high across the region and life expectancies are quite low.
Reasons to buy
- Identifies the largest cities in a particular region by GDP.
- Assesses their importance to the region in question in comparison to the rest of the major cities.
- Provides an overview of various demographic indicators to assess the health of a city.
- Provides a surface-level understanding of a particular region, its composition and what drives it.
- Allows businesses to identify potential target markets and demographics in order to drive successful business.
- How has the economy in the region developed in recent years?
- How is it expected to develop in the future?
- What are the largest cities in the region?
- What is the population and population structure of each of the top cities?
- How healthy is the employment market in each city and what drives growth?
- What is the average household income and expenditure in each city?
- What is the educational structure of the population of each city?
- Africa Country Economic Overview
- Africa Top 20 Cities Economic Overview
- Africa Top 20 Cities Demographics
- Africa Top 20 Cities Unemployment
- Africa Top 20 Cities Employment
- Africa Top 20 Cities Households
- Africa Top 20 Cities Household Income & Expenditure
- Africa Top 20 Cities GVA
- Africa Top 20 Cities Education
- Africa Top 20 Cities Appendix