Molecular diagnostics represents a revolution postponed, perhaps, but one that is now clearly underway. DNA Testing has emerged fully from research into clinical practice and becoming a dominant platform in clinical medicine.
From Emerging to Emergent Technology
Instrumentation now automates many of the sample preparation and assay steps that were formerly labor intensive. New tests are being launched all the time.
At each step of the way, Kalorama Information has reported on its progress, and in this latest market research report we look at the present state of the market, and the advances that have made DNA testing routine.
Many molecular tests are CE Marked and FDA-cleared and many more are in development. The result is that molecular testing is indicated in many areas of health care.
Molecular Testing Compiled and Analyzed and Explained by a Leading Expert
Authored by lead Kalorama diagnostic analyst Shara Rosen, Kalorama Information's World Market for Molecular Diagnostics is the most comprehensive global market report available on the emergent field of molecular diagnostics.
This report covers key platforms of molecular diagnostics, including the following :
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
- Non-PCR Amplification Technologies, including:
- In-situ Hybridization
- Laser Capture Microdissection (LCM) and Tissue Arrays
- Mass Spectroscopy
- Other Molecular Platforms
This report provides market estimates and analysis for molecular diagnostics in the following categories:
- Infectious Diseases (including HIV, Hepatitis GC/Chlamydia,Organism ID, MRSA, HAI et al, Mycobacteria, TB
- Blood Screening
- Tissue Typing
- Inherited Diseases
The various clinical techniques and trends are discussed from the point of view of their present and potential market impact.
Market analysis in this report covers world markets for in vitro diagnostics, with focus on the developed areas of the globe -- North America and Western Europe. However public health and infectious disease are a growing global problem and where possible the report covers IVD products related to the globalization of diseases.
As part of its exhaustive coverage of nucleic acid testing, the report includes the following:
- Market Sizes and Forecasts
- Profile and Assessment of Over 140 Key Competitors
- Breakout of Molecular Diagnostic Market by Region (N. America, W. Europe, Asia, ROW)
- Medical and Technological Trends
- Discussion of Globalization of Markets and Diseases
- Information on Reimbursement of New Technologies
- Review of Novel Test Platforms
- Review of New Market Developments, Such as Consumer Genomics and Testing Services
- Discussion of Market Impact of Home Brew Tests
- Discussion of Diagnostic Biomarkers and Genetic Indicators
All market data are based on factory sales to the end user and not retail pricing or reimbursement payments. Data for the molecular test market are presented in U.S. dollar market size for categories of tests, and for specific analytes where possible. The dollar value of a market segment is directly proportional to the number of tests performed, because the cost of the instrumentation is generally buried in the per test price.
The report discusses tests and technologies that are currently available and those that are expected to take their place. Generally, current products and technologies establish the standard of care and its value to payers. Many of the assays and techniques presented in the report are expected to replace the standard of care in 2007/08, but with healthcare systems' emphasis on cost/benefit analysis for new technologies adoption, the market value and thus penetration capabilities of newer approaches may be limited.
Unsurpassed Breadth of Coverage
The information presented in this report is derived from publicly available information sources such as company, government, and medical organization reports. The analysis is based on the author's industry knowledge combined with literature searches and interviews with industry professionals and experts in the areas of in vitro diagnostics and molecular pathologists.
Companies profiled in this study include:
- Abbott Diagnostics
- Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD)
- Beckman Coulter Inc.
- bioMerieux Inc.
- Dako A/S
- Digene Corporation
- Genomic Health
- Gen-Probe Inc.
- Genzyme Corporation
- Ortho Clinical Diagnostics (OCD)
- Qiagen N.V.
- Roche Diagnostics
- Siemens Medical Solutions Diagnostics
- Sysmex Corporation
- Ventana Medical Systems. Inc.
- 23andMe, Inc.
- 454 Life Sciences Corporation
- AdnaGen AG
- Adnavance Technologies Inc.
- Advanced Analytical Technologies, Inc. (AATI)
- AdvanDx, Inc.
- Agendia B.V.
- Agilent Technologies Inc.
- Almac Diagnostics (formerly ArraDx)
- Althea Technologies, Inc.
- Ambry Genetics Corporation
- Arcxis Biotechnologies
- Asuragen, Inc.
- Athena Diagnostics, Inc.
- Atlas Genetics Limited
- AutoGenomics, Inc.
- AviaraDx (formerly Arcturus Biosciences)
- bcs BIOTECH S.p.A.
- BG Medicine
- Biocept, Inc.
- BioHelix Corporation
- Bio-Reference Laboratories, Inc. (BRLI)
- Biotage AB (formerly Pyrosequencing Technologies)
- Biotools, B & M Labs, S.A.
- BioTrove, Inc.
- China Medical Technologies, Inc.
- Clarient Inc. (formerly ChromaVision)
- Clinical Data, Inc.
- CLONDIAG chip technologies GmbH
- CombiMatrix Molecular Diagnostics (CMDX)
- Consumer Genetics
- Correlogic Systems, Inc.
- Curidium Medica Plc
- deCode Genetics Inc.
- DiaGenic ASA
- Diatherix Laboratories Inc.
- DNA Direct, Inc.
- The DNA Repair Company (DNAR)
- DxS Ltd.
- eGene Inc.
- eGenomics, Inc.
- Eiken Chemical Co., Ltd
- Enigma Diagnostics Limited
- Epigenomics AG
- Epistem Ltd.
- Eppendorf Biochip Systems GmbH
- EraGen Biosciences Inc.
- EXACT Sciences Corporation
- Exiqon A/S
- Fluidigm Corporation
- Focus Diagnostics, Inc.
- Fujifilm Diagnostics (Fujifilm GmbH)
- Gene Express, Inc.
- GeneNews Limited
- GenoID Ltd.
- Genoptix, Inc.
- GENPOINT AS
- Greiner Bio-One International AG
- Hain Lifescience GmbH
- Hamilton Thorne Biosciences, Inc.
- HandyLab, Inc.
- Health Discovery Corporation
- HiFi DNA Tech, LLC
- Ikonisys Inc.
- Immunicon Corporation
- Innogenetics NV
- InterGenetics, Inc.
- Interleukin Genetics, Inc.
- IntegraGen SA
- Invitrogen Corporation
- Iris BioTechnologies Inc.
- KREATECH Biotechnology B.V.
- Lab21 Healthcare
- Laboratory Corporation of America Holdings (LabCorp)
- Med BioGene, Inc. (MBI)
- Microchip Biotechnologies, Inc. (MBI)
- Microgen Bioproducts Ltd.
- Mobidiag Oy
- Molzym GmbH & Co. KG
- Monogram Biosciences, Inc. (formerly ViroLogic)
- Myconostica, Ltd.
- Myriad Genetics, Inc.
- Nanosphere, Inc.
- NorDiag ASA
- Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics/Chiron
- Nuvera Biosciences
- OncoMethylome Sciences S.A.
- Orchid Cellmark
- Orion Genomics
- Osmetech plc
- Pacific Biosciences of California, Inc. (PacBio)
- ParagonDx LLC
- Pathwork Diagnostics (formerly Predicant Biosciences)
- Perceptronix Medical Inc.
- PerkinElmer, Inc.
- Prediction Sciences
- Prodesse, Inc.
- Progenika Biopharma
- Psynomics Incorporated
- Q Chip Ltd.
- Quest Diagnostics Incorporated
- Rosetta Genomics Ltd.
- Seegene, Inc.
- SensiGen LLC
- Sequenom, Inc.
- Smart Genetics
- Tepnel Life Sciences
- TessArae, LLC
- TheraGenetics, Limited
- Third Wave Technologies Inc.
- Transgenomic Inc.
- TrimGen Corporation
- Veredus Laboratories Pte Ltd.
- Veridex, LLC
- Vita Genomics
- Xceed Molecular
- XDx Inc.
- Xenomics, Inc.
- Zila, Inc.