This report analyzes the world markets for human antiviral medications, focusing on the current market for and the development of drugs that are used to directly combat and treat viruses viral infections. For the purposes of this report, antivirals are drugs used to directly treat viral infection after it occurs. The report does not discuss products for the prevention of viral infection—that is, adult or pediatric vaccinations—and does not discuss other diseases, such as cancer or heart disease, that may be caused by a virus.
Market analysis is provided for various geographic regions and for various viral groups to 2006. The report profiles several companies involved in marketing or developing antiviral products, including Boehrinnger Ingelheim, Bristol-Myers Squibb, GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer, and Merck, among others. The report generally reviews the nature and direction of research, as well as the markets for currently available drugs.
Market forecasts are based on an examination of current market conditions and on investigations into the development of new products by key companies. This information also is weighted with projected timing and the probability of receiving FDA approval to market products. The information presented in this report is the result of data gathered from interviews with company executives and other industry stakeholders. Company product literature and other corporate brochures and documents, as well as information found in the scientific and trade press, provide supporting information.
Chapter One: Executive Summary
Infection and Viruses
Types of Antiviral Drugs
- Nucleoside Therapies
- Non-nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors
- Protease Inhibitors
- Major Market Drugs
- Major Market Players
- Key Pipeline Therapies
- Issues Driving the Market Place
Scope and Methodology
Chapter Two: Introduction
Chapter Three: Emerging Disease and Research
HIV Cases on the Rise
- The Need for New Therapies
- Antisense Oligonucleotides
- Combination Treatment
- DNA Bactofection
- RNA Interference
- GB Virus
- Bioterror Research
In the Pipeline
Drug and Patent Exclusivity
Patent and Exclusivity Differences
Therapies to Lose Protection
Chapter Four: The Market for Antiviral Pharmaceuticals
World Market Overview
Market Share by Type of Drug
Major Market Drugs and Players
Markets by Disease
- Miscellaneous Viral Therapeutics
Chapter Five: Corporate Profiles
- Abbott Laboratories
- Advanced Viral Research Corp.
- Biota Holdings Ltd.
- Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.
- Genelabs Technologies, Inc.
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Gilead Sciences Inc.
- Hemispherx Biopharma Inc.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Hybridon Inc.
- ICN Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- ICN Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Immtech International Inc.
- Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Merck & Co. Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Pharmasset Inc.
- Progenics Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Ribozyme Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Schering-Plough Corp.
- SciClone Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Stressgen Biotechnologies Corp.
- Trimeris Inc.
- Viral Genetics Inc.
- ViroPharma Inc.
- Figure 1-1: World Anti-Infective Drug Market by Type and
- Table 1-1: Top-Selling Prescription Antiviral Drugs 2002
- Table 1-2: World Prescription Antiviral Drug Market, Market Shares of
- Table 2-1: HIV Statistics
- Table 2-2: Prevalence of Chronic Hepatitis Infections in the
United States by Type 2000
- Table 2-3: Number of Ongoing Clinical Trials for Virus-Related Disease
Emerging Disease And Research
- Table 3-1: Selected Late Stage Developmental Antiviral Therapies
- Table 3-2: Exclusivity Expirations for Key Antiviral Drugs
- Table 3-3: Patent Expirations for Key Antiviral Drugs
World Market For Antiviral Pharmaceuticals
- Table 4-1: The World Market for Anti-Infective Medications
- Table 4-2: The World Market for Antiviral Medications
- Figure 4-1: World Antiviral Drug Market
- Figure 4-2: World Antiviral Drug Market Share by Disease Type
- Figure 4-3: World Antiviral Drug Market by Type of Drug 2002 & 2006
- Table 4-3: World Market for Antiviral Drugs Revenues by Top-Selling Product
- Figure 4-4: World Market for Antiviral Drugs Market Share by
- Figure 4-5: World Market for Antiviral Drugs Market Share by Top Competitor
- Figure 4-6: Top Ten Most Recognized Antiviral Brands
- Table 4-4: Global summary of the HIV/AIDS epidemic December 2002
- Table 4-5: Regional HIV/AIDS Statistics and Features End of 2002
- Table 4-6: World Antiviral Drug Market HIV Drugs 2002-2006
- Table 4-7: World Antiviral Drug Market Hepatitis Drugs 2002-2006
- Table 4-8: World Antiviral Drug Market Herpes Drugs 2002-2006
- Table 4-9: World Antiviral Drug Market Influenza Drugs 2002-2006
- Table 4-10: World Antiviral Drug Market Miscellaneous
- Table 4-11: World Antiviral Drug Market by Geographical
Segment (U.S., Europe, Japan, Rest of World) 2002-2006
- Figure 4-7: World Antiviral Drug Market Market Share by
Geographical Segment (U.S., Europe, Japan, Rest of World) 2002
- Table 4-12: World Antiviral Drug Market Generic Versus Branded Revenues