Wine Market in Europe 2015-2019
Market overview of the wine market in Europe
Technavio’s market research analyst predicts the wine market in Europe to witness a decline at a rate of around 0.62% during the forecast period. The falling production of grapes in Europe is the primary driver for the decline of the market. Adverse weather conditions in the region are affecting the production of grapes, which is the major component of wines. During 2012, Europe witnessed a 62% decline in grape wine production.
The rise in dominance of the US as a wine consumer is also expected to deter the growth of the wine market in Europe. Currently, 39% of the wine consumed is outside Europe, especially in countries such as the US, China, and Argentina.
Product segmentation and analysis of the wine market in Europe
Still wine dominated the wine market in Europe with a market share of 94% during 2014. However, this segment is expected to witness a decline in share during the forecast period. Siglo and Campo Viejo from Pernod Ricard are the most popular wines in this segment.
Segmentation by distribution and analysis of the wine market in Europe
- Supermarkets and hypermarkets
- Specialist retailers
- Online retail
Supermarkets and hypermarkets led the wine distribution channel in Europe with a market share of 48% during 2014. Supermarkets allow the consumers to indulge in wine tasting before buying; along with making a choice of the origin and ageing of wine suitable to them.
Segmentation by packaging and analysis of the wine market in Europe
- Glass bottles
- Liquid cartons
- Pet bottles
- Bags in-box
- Metal beverage can
Glass bottles accounted for nearly 95% of the market share during 2014. In Western Europe, during 2014, nearly half of the wine sold was in glass bottles.Competitive landscape and key vendors
The wine market in Europe is fragmented due to the presence of numerous producers, wineries and distributors of wine. The providers in the market compete on the basis of several factors such as price, quality, innovation, service, reputation, distribution, and promotion.
The leading vendors in the market are -
- Cantine Riunite & CIV
- Garcia Carrion
- Accolade Wines
- Castle Group
- Italiano Vini
Other prominent vendors in the market include Codorníu, Amvyx, Bacardi, Davide Campari-Milano, Casella, Chateau Mouton Rothschild, Diageo, Pernod Ricard, William Grants & Sons, LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton, and Rotkäppchen Mumm.Key questions answered in the report include
- What will the market size and the growth rate be in 2019?
- What are the key factors driving the wine market in Europe?
- What are the key market trends impacting the growth of the wine market in Europe?
- What are the challenges to market growth?
- Who are the key vendors in this market space?
- What are the market opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the wine market in Europe?
- What are the key outcomes of the five forces analysis of the wine market in Europe?
Technavio also offers customization on reports based on specific client requirement.
- Global Wine Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Packaging Market 2015-2019
- Vodka Market in Nordic Countries 2015-2019
- Global Scotch Whiskey Market 2015-2019