About Specialty Paper
Specialty papers have unique characteristics in terms of density, smoothness, colors, electrical properties, chemical properties, and others. They are different from the normal papers. These specialty papers are either fabricated directly or normal papers are converted into the former through techniques such as coating the latter with specialty paper and pulp chemicals. Specialty papers are produced for specific applications such as in packaging and labeling.
Technavio’s analysts forecast the specialty paper market in EMEA to grow at a CAGR of 2.96% during the period 2017-2021.
Covered in this report
The report covers the present scenario and the growth prospects of the specialty paper market in EMEA for 2017-2021. To calculate the market size, the report considers the revenue generated by different vendors through the specialty paper market in EMEA.
The market is divided into the following segments based on geography:
Technavio Announces the Publication of its Research Report – Specialty Paper Market in EMEA 2017-2021
Technavio recognizes the following companies as the key players in the specialty paper market in EMEA: Sappi, Domtar, International Paper, Mondi, Smurfit Kappa, and Stora Enso.
Other Prominent Vendors in the market are: Fedrigoni, Glatfelter, Nippon Paper Group, Sonoco, and Riverside Paper.
Commenting on the report, an analyst from Technavio’s team said: “One trend in the market is increased popularity of labels with security systems and NFC technology. In Europe, there is an increase in demand for applications of electronic labels such as near field communication (NFC) technology and quick response (QR) code. This is because these applications enable anti-counterfeit functions and security by authentication. Through mobile applications, customers can perform quick scans to avoid the purchase of imitation goods.”
According to the report, one driver in the market is increase in demand for tea bags. The consumption of tea in Europe is high. Even though tea bag companies have comparatively low market shares in Europe, the demand for tea bags is increasing at a rapid rate due to the use of specialty papers to fabricate porous sachets for tea. Attributes of specialty paper such as sustainability and its biodegradable feature are significant advantages that are contributing to the growth of the specialty paper market in EMEA. The packaging of tea bags valued at 5.32% of the market share of the global tea market and the remaining 94.68% was accounted for tea packets in 2016.
Further, the report states that one challenge in the market is high investment requirement. The market is capital intensive as all the machines used for specialty paper manufacturing are expensive. This restricts small vendors from entering the market. Continuous investments are required to adopt latest technologies used in business. Furthermore, the improvement in working efficiency of equipment increases the machinery overhead costs. Therefore, smaller vendors are unable to afford such extensive capital investments, which may prevent them from entering the market. In addition, high costs incurred add to the final prices of specialty papers.
Sappi, Domtar, International Paper, Mondi, Smurfit Kappa, Stora Enso, Fedrigoni, Glatfelter, Nippon Paper Group, Sonoco, and Riverside Paper.
Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.Download eBook