Global Cider Market 2017-2021
Cider is an alcoholic beverage made from the fermented juice of apples. The juice of any variety of apple can be used to make cider, however cider apples are most suited for cider production. The alcohol content in cider varies from 1.2% ABV to 8.5% or more in traditional English ciders and 3.5% to 12% in continental ciders. Cider is more popular in Europe, and within Europe, it is more popular in the UK. The appearance of the cider ranges from cloudy with sediment to completely clear; its color also ranges from clear to amber to brown.
Technavio’s analysts forecast the global cider market to grow at a CAGR of 5.35% during the period 2017-2021.
Covered in this report
The report covers the present scenario and the growth prospects of the global cider market for 2017-2021. To calculate the market size, the report considers the revenue generated from the sales of cider.The market is divided into the following segments based on geography:
Technavio Announces the Publication of its Research Report – Global Cider Market 2017-2021
Technavio recognizes the following companies as the key players in the global cider market: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Aston Manor, C and C, Distell, and Heineken
Other Prominent Vendors in the market are: Asahi Breweries, Budweiser Budvar Brewery, Harpoon Brewery, and Molson Coors
Commenting on the report, an analyst from Technavio’s team said: “One of the main trends emerging in the market that can positively affect the growth of the market during the forecast period is the emergence of craft ciders. Craft ciders use pure apple to make cider products and do not use concentrates. Craft cider accounts for about 2% of the total cider market in Ireland, however it is expected to increase to about 6%-8% during the forecast period. Craft ciders are more popular among female consumers in the age group of 23-40 years. Craft cider bars are coming up in the US and are gaining popularity among the consumers due to the focus on local ingredients and small-batch production. It is estimated that there are about 72 craft cideries in the US, which account for about 11% of the total number of cideries in the US. This is expected to increase further during the forecast period due to the growing demand for craft cider.”
According to the report, the presence of popular brands like Kopparberg, Woodchuck, and Angry Orchard has increased the demand for premium-quality cider. Premium brands are in high demand compared to economically priced products due to its rise in disposable income, consumption of alcohol as a status symbol, and the association of premium labels with beverage quality and taste. The high demand for premium alcohol among consumers is because it is better in smoothness and mouthfeel and is perfect for sipping. Premium cider accounts for 34.5% of all cider volumes. Even in mature markets like the US and France, premiumization is driving the market and consumers are shifting from local spirits to premium spirits. Hence, the trend for premiumization across all product categories will boost the growth of the cider market during the forecast period.
Further, the report states that the campaigns against alcohol consumption by various organizations in many countries are a challenge to market growth. The increasing incidence of alcohol abuse and alcohol-related accidents, especially among the younger population, has led to many regulatory and social organizations launching campaigns against alcohol consumption and vendors to prevent this. For instance, many foundations like Mothers against Drunk Driving, the American Medical Association, and the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse are engaged in discouraging alcohol consumption in the US. This is affecting the demand for alcohol in the country. Vendors also often face charges or are involved in lawsuits that damage their image. Vendors need to engage in social responsibility programs like those against drunk driving and abuse to avoid such campaigns and to build goodwill in the market.
Anheuser-Busch InBev, Aston Manor, C and C, Distell, Heineken, Asahi Breweries, Budweiser Budvar Brewery, Harpoon Brewery, and Molson Coors
Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.Download eBook