European Cross-Laminated Timber Market: Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2023-2028
The European cross-laminated timber market size reached 1.6 Million Cubic Metres in 2022. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach 2.9 Million Cubic Metres by 2028, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 11.15% during 2023-2028.
Cross-laminated timber, or CLT, is an engineered wood product, which is made by stacking layers of wood panels in perpendicular directions and fastening them together. This crosswise arrangement helps in increasing the structural strength, load-bearing capacity, dimensional stability and rigidity of the wood panels while reducing their shrinkage and swelling. CLT was first developed in Europe during the early 1990s and has now come to represent an important construction material in the region. It is also used for a number of residential and commercial applications, either in combination with other building materials and wood products or as a standalone system.
CLT represents an inexpensive, flexible and time-saving substitute to conventional construction materials such as concrete, steel and masonry. This is a result of the prefabrication of CLT according to the desired dimensions and shapes that reduces on-site waste, as well as saves installation time. Moreover, it represents an environment-friendly and sustainable building material as it is made of wood. CLT panels also help in reducing the amount of carbon dioxide present in the environment by trapping more than 1500 kg of CO2 per ton. The manufacturing and transportation of CLT also produce lesser pollution as compared to conventional building materials. One of the significant factors that have facilitated the demand for CLT in the European region is the green building movement, which requires constructors to use sustainable and eco-friendly construction materials. Amendments in the International Building Code 2015, allowing the use of CLT for the large building, has also helped in expanding the market. Enhanced marketing and increasing awareness about the advantages of CLT, along with improved distribution channels, represent some of the other growth-inducing factors.
Key Market Segmentation:
IMARC Group provides an analysis of the key trends in each sub-segment of the European cross-laminated timber market report, along with forecasts at the regional and country level from 2023-2028. Our report has categorized the market based on application, product type, element type, raw material type, bonding method, panel layers, adhesive type, press type, storey class and application type.
Breakup by Application:
At present, the residential sector represents the largest segment, holding the majority of the total market share.
Breakup by Product Type:
Custom CLT currently represents the most popular type, accounting for the dominant share.
Breakup by Element Type:
Amongst these, wall panels account for nearly half of the total market share.
Breakup by Raw Material Type:
Presently, spruce is mostly used in the production of CLT panels.
Breakup by Bonding Method:
Adhesive bonding is the dominant segment, holding the majority of the total market share.
Breakup by Panel Layers:
Breakup by Adhesive Type:
PRF (Phenol Resorcinol Formaldehyde)
PUR (polyurethane resin) is the most popular adhesive used for fastening CLT panels.
Breakup by Press Type:
At present, CLT panels are primarily manufactured using a hydraulic press.
Breakup by Storey Class:
Low-Rise Buildings (1-4 Storeys)
Mid-Rise Buildings (5-10 Storeys)
High-Rise Buildings (More than 10 Storeys)
Breakup by Application Type:
Structural applications represent the largest segment.
Region-wise, Austria exhibits a clear dominance in the market.
The competitive landscape of the market is characterized by the presence of numerous small and large manufacturers who compete in terms of prices and quality. Some of the leading players operating in the market are:
Stora Enso Oyj
KLH Massivholz GmbH
Mayr Melnhof Karton AG
Hasslacher Holding GmbH
Key Questions Answered in This Report
1. What was the size of the European cross-laminated timber market in 2022?
2. What is the expected growth rate of the European cross-laminated timber market during 2023-2028?
3. What are the key factors driving the European cross-laminated timber market?
4. What has been the impact of COVID-19 on the European cross-laminated timber market?
5. What is the breakup of the European cross-laminated timber market based on the application?
6. What is the breakup of the European cross-laminated timber market based on the product type?
7. What is the breakup of the European cross-laminated timber market based on the element type?
8. What is the breakup of the European cross-laminated timber market based on the raw material type?
9. What is the breakup of the European cross-laminated timber market based on the bonding method?
10. What is the breakup of the European cross-laminated timber market based on the panel layers?
11. What is the breakup of the European cross-laminated timber market based on the adhesive type?
12. What is the breakup of the European cross-laminated timber market based on the press type?
13. What is the breakup of the European cross-laminated timber market based on the storey class?
14. What is the breakup of the European cross-laminated timber market based on the application type?
15. What are the key regions in the European cross-laminated timber market?
16. Who are the key players/companies in the European cross-laminated timber market?
Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.Download eBook