Perspective: Smart Buildings and the Internet of Things
This IDC Energy Insights Perspective looks at the current status of smart building technologies and how the status has been affected by trends and developments in the Internet of Things (IoT) space. We explore the following questions:
- What are the parallels between IoT and smart building technologies? How has the rapid growth of IoT development affected the state of the art of smart buildings?
- In what cases do consumer-focused IoT devices make sense for smart building decision makers?
- Because of the advances in IoT, should building owners and operators revisit or modify their current deployment plans for smart building technologies?
Extended description available upon request.
- In This Perspective
- IDC Energy Insights Opinion
- Situation Overview
- Defining the Internet of Things
- IoT and Smart Buildings: Multipurpose Focus
- The Approach
- Future Outlook
- Essential Guidance
- Actions to Consider
- Learn More
- Related Research