Top Trends in Hot Drinks 2017
Top Trends in Hot Drinks 2017 explores the latest consumer and innovation trends in hot tea, hot coffee, and other hot drinks (e.g. chocolate-based and malt-based hot drinks).
This report focuses on outlining the key consumer and innovation trends currently impacting the core categories in hot drinks - hot tea, hot coffee, and other hot drinks. These include innovations that align with consumer demand for hot drinks tailored to their lifestyles or appeal to indulgence-seeking consumers, such as café-style hot drinks. The report also explores product concepts that benefit from cross-category innovation or align with the Social Responsibility trend.
Reasons to buy
- Globally, consumers are more willing to try new varieties of hot tea and hot coffee than other hot drinks (e.g. hot chocolate or malt-based drinks). However, experimentation level for other hot drinks is significantly higher in younger consumer groups.
- 71% of consumers consider recreating café-style hot drinks to be achievable or very achievable, increasing the popularity of premium hot drinks for at-home consumption.
- Globally, 53% of consumers believe hot drinks can offer the same or better health benefits as non-prescription medication, unlocking new opportunities for hot drinks that claim to improve health and general wellbeing.
- Cross-category innovation, such as wine-inspired or dessert-inspired recipes, can help to refresh consumer interest towards the hot drinks category and to add sophistication to a staple category.
- Identify the top trends driving the hot drinks sector.
- Gain insight into the key consumer segments that are most likely to be a key focus for innovation.
- Put innovative products into context by connecting them to specific consumer trends and needs.
- Gain insight and inspiration for innovation.
- Executive summary
- Trend 1: Added functionality
- Moving away from traditional health claims
- Added functionality: product examples
- Trend 2: Premiumization
- Fighting competition from private labels
- Café-style hot drinks for at-home consumption
- Premiumization: product examples
- Trend 3: Social responsibility
- Ethical consumption
- Ethical production
- Social responsibility: product examples
- Trend 4: Cross-category
- Innovations inspired by alcoholic beverages
- Table Global: "Which statement best describes your choice of flavors when shopping for drinks?", 2015
- Innovations inspired by skincare and hair care
- Innovations inspired by desserts
- Trend 5: Sugar-free
- Diabetic-friendly hot drinks
- Sugar-free: product examples