Thailand: Country Intelligence Report
Thailand’s telecom and pay-TV services revenue will reach an estimated $12.3bnin 2017, up 9.4% from the 2016 level, to account for more than 2.5% of nominal GDP. GlobalData expects total service revenue to increase at a CAGR of about 2.9% (around 3% in local currency), to cross $14bnby the end of 2022 driven by growth in fixed broadband, mobile data and pay-TV revenue.
Fixed broadband revenue will expand the fastest at a CAGR of over 12% (around 12.4% in local currency) over 2017-2022 led by continued growth in DSL, cable subscriptions and a projected rise in adoption of FTTH/B services, as operators expand their fiber network footprints. Moreover, growth in fixed broadband services revenue will also be driven by a projected rise in adoption of multiplay services.
Mobile data revenue will expand at a CAGR of over 4% in US$ terms, driven by rising smartphones penetration and growing adoption of 4G/LTE and rollout of 5G services.Mobile voice revenue will decline over the forecast period due to price declines and users shifting toward OTT-based communication.Thailand’s pay-TV market will grow at a CAGR of around 2.3% in US$ terms over 2017-2022.
Thailand’s mobile subscription penetration of population is estimated at over 138% for 2017, 35.4 p.p. above the Asia-Pacific average of 103.3%, and will grow further to reach around 156% by 2022. This growth will be driven by a steady rise in smartphone SIM subscriptions and growth in M2M services and multi-SIM ownership.
The report Thailand: Country Intelligence Report, provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Thailand today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Furthermore, this report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile and pay-TV segments, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
In particular, this report provides the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in Thailand.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV markets.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom and pay-TV services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
AIS, Dtac, True Move, CAT, i-Mobile, TOT, TrueOnline, 3BB, TrueVisionsScope
Reasons to buy
- The overall telecom and pay-TV services revenue in Thailand will grow at a CAGR of 2.9% (3% in Bt) during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue will account for 56% of the total telecom and pay-TV services revenue in 2022, driven by adoption of 4G/4.5G and projected growth in 5G services.
- AIS leads Thailand’s mobile market in terms of mobile subscriptions for 2017, followed by True Corp (True Move) and Dtac. Other operators present in the market include CAT and i-Mobile. To compete in the market, major operators focus on 4G network expansions along with 5G development strategy, and competitively priced offers and promotions.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Thailand’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying GlobalData’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Thailand’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Thailand’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Thailand.
- Market highlights 4
- Demographic, macroeconomic and regulatory context 5
- Demographic and macroeconomic context 6
- Regulatory context 8
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook 9
- Total telecom service revenue 10
- Mobile services market 12
- Fixed services market 18
- Pay-TV services market 22
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots 25
- Competitive landscape 26
- Advanced Info Service (AIS) 28
- Dtac 29
- True Corp 30
- Tot 31
- Additional resources 32
- Baseline forecast assumptions 33
- Data tables 34
- Glossary 36
- Research methodology 39
- About the authors 40
- Country Intelligence Report coverage 41
- About GlobalData 42