South Africa Sports Broadcasting Media (Television and Telecommunications) Market Landscape
The South Africa Sports Broadcasting Media (Television and Telecommunications) Market Landscape Report provides an overview of the television and telecommunications market in relation to sports broadcasting in South Africa today, with top-level data and detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2026. The report analyses the television, SVOD, mobile handset and residential fixed-line broadband sectors, as well as a review of major sports media rights.
- DTH satellite will remain the only pay-TV platform in the country over 2021-2026.
- Key growth drivers of the South African SVOD market are the increase in investment in fixed broadband infrastructure by the government, increasing availability of SVOD content and dedicated video data bundling offers made available through mobile operators.
- 4G subscriptions will remain the leading mobile technology in South Africa, with its subscription share increasing from 49.9% in 2021 to 70.1% by 2026, supported by operators’ investment in expanding and upgrading 4G networks in the country.
Reasons to Buy
- Pay-TV operators had an estimated 8.7 million subscribers in 2021, a 5.9% rise from 2020.
- South Africa had an estimated 2.8 million subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) accounts at the end of 2021, an increase of 702,000 or 34.3% from 2020.
- Over the 2021-2026 forecast period, total mobile subscription will grow at a CAGR of 2.8%, with operators adding a combined 16.8 million subscriptions and bringing the country’s total to 128.1 million by 2026. This growth in mobile subscriptions will be supported by increasing multi-sim ownership and a projected rise in M2M/IoT subscriptions.
- Total fixed broadband lines in South Africa will increase from 2.0 million in 2021 to 6.1 million by 2026, driven by the efforts from the government and operators like Vodacom and Telekom in expanding broadband coverage across the country.
- This Sports Broadcasting Media Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of the South African television and telecommunications markets, and service providers in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying GlobalData’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in the South African pay-TV, SVOD, mobile handset and residential fixed broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With 24 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- Population and household context
- Television services market
- SVOD services market
- Mobile services market: Handsets
- Fixed broadband services market: Residential
- Competitive landscape
- Data tables