South Africa: Country Intelligence Report
South Africa: Country Intelligence Report, a new Country Intelligence Report by GlobalData, provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in South Africa today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2023. Published annually, the report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile, and pay-TV segments, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
GlobalData expects South Africa's total telecommunications and pay-TV services revenue to reach $10.5 billion in 2018 and it will decline at 0.4% CAGR to $10.2 billion by 2023. However, in local currency, the market will grow at a CAGR of 2.6% driven by growth in mobile data and fixed broadband segments. Fixed broadband revenue will be the fastest growing segment over 2018-2023 led by growth in DSL and rise in FTTx adoption. The government’s ‘National Broadband Policy’ and investment by operators in 4G/5G network will drive the growth in telecom sector in South Africa.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following -
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in South Africa.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation, and more.
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data, and pay-TV markets.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom and pay-TV services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
Reasons to buy
- The total revenue of the telecom and pay-TV services markets in South Africa will drop at 0.4% CAGR over 2018-2023, however, it will increase in local currency terms at a CAGR of 2.6%. The growth will be driven by mobile data and fixed broadband segments.
- Fixed broadband will be the fastest growing segment in terms of revenue with a 12.4% CAGR in US$ (15.8% in ZAR) over 2018-2023.
- 3G is the most adopted technology in mobile segment in 2018 with its share of total mobile subscriptions at 43.5%. However, 4G’s share of total mobile subscriptions will surpass 3G’s in 2020.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of South Africa’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying GlobalData’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in South Africa’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in South Africa’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in South Africa.
- Market highlights
- Demographic, macroeconomic, and regulatory context
- Demographic and macroeconomic context
- Regulatory context
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook
- Total telecom service revenue
- Mobile services market
- Fixed services market
- Pay-TV services market
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots
- Competitive landscape
- Vodacom South Africa
- MTN South Africa
- Cell C
- Additional resources
- Baseline forecast assumptions
- Data tables
- Research methodology
- Country Intelligence Report coverage
- About GlobalData