Sharing Economy in Travel & Tourism - Thematic Research
The sharing economy has been one of the biggest disruptors in the travel and tourism industry in recent years.
This thematic research report takes an in-depth look at the theme of the sharing economy and the impact it has on the industry, its players, and also on tourists. The report covers the main themes occurring in the industry, real-life case studies a unique thematic analysis of the impact on the industry including recommendations for travel & tourism companies. Additionally, we highlight the public and private companies involved with the sharing economy.
The sharing economy has shaken up the travel and tourism industry over the past decade especially and has caused concern for companies operating traditionally. Both taxi drivers and taxi companies around the world have berated companies like Uber for undercutting them and reducing custom. Hotels now have to compete with lodging companies offering local experiences while OTAs such as Booking Holdings have got involved in the theme to minimize the threat of losing custom to Airbnb.
- The sharing economy encompasses a range of themes including collaborative consumption, the gig economy, crowdsourcing, and co-working. It is prevalent in the travel and tourism industry as travelers tend to seek out lower prices and more authentic experiences.
- Millennials and Gen Z have been a key driver of the sharing economy as they increasingly search for something more than a package holiday. Holidays are now focused on learning and being immersed in the local culture.
- The rise of social media fostered a trust in technology that is most prevalent in younger generations. Being used to sharing ideas and reviews online paved the way for the success of the sharing economy. Tech-savvy travelers are happy to trust what other people are saying online and this has been a backbone to the sharing economy, where star ratings are crucial to each user’s success.
- Cost is a major factor for a huge number of travelers. The way that companies such as Airbnb and Uber were able to disrupt the industry was through offering lower-cost options than traditional companies were doing.
- The success of the sharing economy can be heavily attributed to the use of technology such as AI and big data. Companies involved in the sharing economy are typically very focused on their app and this has been a big driver of their success.
Reasons to buy
- This report provides an overview of the impact of the sharing economy on tourism and clearly defines the various faces of the theme.
- It identifies the main trends related to the theme, classified into two categories: trends contributing to the growth of the sharing economy, and sharing economy trends in travel and tourism.
- This report identifies several case studies to illustrate how the sharing economy impacts the industry, including examples from Airbnb and Surf Air. Additionally, it provides an insight into what companies are doing to increase their understanding of the theme.
- Our unique thematic methodology provides an in-depth analysis on the impact of the theme on the travel & tourism industry, underlining several ways that companies can get involved with the sharing economy.
- We highlight public and private companies involved with the sharing economy, including Airbnb and Uber.
- Understand the impacts of the sharing economy on travel & tourism companies, using case studies and examples to help you understand how you can learn about and adapt to the theme.
- Assess the strategies that companies are adopting to add value to their services through offering more than the basics.
- GlobalData’s thematic research ecosystem is a single, integrated global research platform that provides an easy-to-use framework for tracking all themes across all companies in all sectors. It has a proven track record of identifying the important themes early, enabling companies to make the right investments ahead of the competition, and secure that all-important competitive advantage.
- Table Figure 1: Who are the big players in the sharing economy?
- Trends contributing to the growth of the sharing economy
- Table Trends contributing to the growth of the sharing economy
- Sharing economy trends in travel and tourism
- Table Sharing economy trends in travel and tourism
- Case studies
- Airbnb Experiences
- Ritz-Carlton Sharing Room
- Surf Air
- Thematic analysis
- Table Figure 2: According to GlobalData, over half of ages 16-24 prefer to spend on experiences
- Table Figure 3: According to GlobalData, 29% of travelers already use sharing sites
- Table Figure 4: Gen Z and millennials are the most likely to use peer-to-peer accommodation sites
- Table Figure 5: Gen Z and millennials are the most likely to use taxi smartphone apps
- Table Figure 6: The story of the sharing economy …
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Table Mergers and acquisitions
- Impact of the sharing economy on the travel and tourism industry
- Recommendations for travel and tourism companies
- Value chain
- Table Figure 7: The sharing economy's value chain
- Service level
- Provider level (ride-hailing and car share)
- User level
- Companies section
- Publicly traded companies
- Table Publicly traded companies
- Private companies
- Appendix: Our thematic research methodology
- Viewing the world's data by themes makes it easier to make important decisions
- Traditional research does a poor job of picking winners and losers
- That is why we developed our "thematic engine"
- How do we create our sector scorecards?
- Table Figure 8: Our five-step approach for generating a sector scorecard
- What is in our sector scorecards?
- How do we score companies in our thematic screen?
- How our research reports fit into our overall thematic research ecosystem
- About GlobalData
- Contact us