Samsung Electronics - risk assessment - Global Thematic Research
Less than eight weeks after going on sale, Samsung has shut down production of its flagship smartphone, the Galaxy Note 7. This followed two failed product recalls involving batteries that spontaneously combusted.
In the aftermath of this public relations disaster, we change our company rating on Samsung from leader to vulnerability.
Inside this report, we will look at the risk factors of Samsung Electronics.
Reasons to buy
- This report is part of our ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by our “thematic engine”.
- About our Thematic Research Ecosystem
- GlobalData has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, GlobalData’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, GlobalData tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in GlobalData’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. Our 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. Our thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Single Theme report, offering in-depth research into a specific theme. It identifies winners and losers based on technology leadership, market position and other factors.
- Our thematic investment research product, supported by our thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- Our unique differentiator, compared to all our rival thematic research houses, is that our thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
- SAMSUNG: RATIONALE FOR SWITCH
- Poor crisis management
- Unfortunate timing
- Weak quality control
- Lack of software ecosystem
- Competitive risk
- More profit warnings
- Splitting up the company
- THEMATIC SCREEN: CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SECTOR
- THEMATIC SCREEN: SEMICONDUCTOR SECTOR
- VALUATION SCREEN: CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SECTOR
- VALUATION SCREEN: SEMICONDUCTOR SECTOR
- RISK SCREEN: CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SECTOR
- RISK SCREEN: SEMICONDUCTOR SECTOR
- WHO’S WHO IN CONSUMER ELECTRONICS?
- WHO’S WHO IN SEMICONDUCTORS?
- APPENDIX: OUR “THEMATIC” RESEARCH METHODOLOGY