Romania: Country Intelligence Report
Romania’s telecom and pay-TV services market will grow from an estimated $3.6bn in 2017 to around $4.8bn by 2022 at a CAGR of about 5.9%over 2017-2022, driven by the mobile data, fixed broadband and pay-TV segments. Mobile data revenue will grow at the fastest CAGR of around 24% over 2017-2022, reaching $1.6bn by 2022, driven by rising smartphone subscriptions, growing adoption of 4G/4.5G services and subsequent rise in mobile data ARPS.
Fixed broadband revenue will increase from an estimated RON2.6bn ($618m) in 2017 to RON3.1bn ($852m) by 2022 at a CAGR of 4.3% in RON (6.6% in US$). Growth will be supported by the National Strategy on the Digital Agenda for Romania 2020, which aims to increase household penetration of fixed broadband services.
Pay-TV revenue will grow at a lethargic pace from RON2.02bn ($489m) in 2017 to RON2.03bn ($550m) by 2022 at CAGR of 0.1% in RON (2.4% in US$) with growth in cable TV and DTH subscriptions slowing and with IPTV yet to achieve mass-scale adoption.
Romania’s mobile subscription penetration of population will cross 148% in 2017 and would grow to surpass 174% by 2022, driven by growing smartphone SIM subscriptions and steadily rising multi-SIM ownership as users seek to benefit from lower tariffs and unique service features across different offers, from different operators.
The report Romania: Country Intelligence Report, provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Romania today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022.Moreover, this report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile and pay-TV segments, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
In particular, this report provides the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in Romania.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV markets.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom and pay-TV services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
Orange Romania, Vodafone Romania, Telekom Romania, RCS & RDS, Lycamobile, UPC Romania, NextgenScope
Reasons to buy
- Overall telecom and pay-TV services revenue in Romania will grow at a CAGR of 3.6% (5.9% in US$) during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue will account for 67% of total telecom and pay-TV services revenue in 2022, driven by increasing adoption of 4G/4.5G services and projected 5G growth.
- Orange Romania leads Romania’s mobile market in terms of mobile subscriptions for 2017, followed by Vodafone Romania, Telekom Romania, RCS & RDS, Lycamobile and others. All the operators compete on the basis of network expansions/upgrades, and competitively priced offers to strengthen their market position.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Romania’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying GlobalData’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Romania’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Romania’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Romania.
- Market highlights 4
- Demographic, macroeconomic and regulatory context 5
- Demographic and macroeconomic context 6
- Regulatory context 8
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook 9
- Total telecom service revenue 10
- Mobile services market 12
- Fixed services market 18
- Pay-TV services market 22
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots 25
- Competitive landscape 26
- Telekom Romania 28
- Orange Romania 29
- Vodafone Romania 30
- RCS & RDS 31
- Additional resources 32
- Baseline forecast assumptions 33
- Data tables 34
- Glossary 36
- Research methodology 39
- About the author 40
- Country Intelligence Report coverage 41
- About GlobalData 42