Payments Landscape in Bahrain: Opportunities and Risks to 2022
GlobalData’s Payments Landscape in Bahrain: Opportunities and Risks to 2022, report provides detailed analysis of market trends in Bahrain's cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for a number of key performance indicators in the industry, including direct debit, credit transfers, cheques, and cards during the review-period (2014-18e).
The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry, and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, transaction values and volumes during the review-period and over the forecast-period (2018-22f). It also offers information on the country's competitive landscape, including the market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalData’s research, modeling, and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers details of regulatory policy and recent changes in the regulatory structure.
This report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights into Bahrain's cards and payments industry, including -
- Current and forecast values for each market in Bahrain's cards and payments industry, including debit, credit, and charge cards.
- Detailed insights into payment instruments including direct debits, credit transfers, cheques, and cards. It also, includes an overview of the country's key alternative payment instruments.
- E-commerce market analysis.
- Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing Bahrain's cards and payments industry.
- Detailed analysis of strategies adopted by banks and other institutions to market debit, credit, and charge cards.
Reasons to buy
- The adoption of contactless technology is expected to further push electronic payments in Bahrain. Major banks such as Ithmaar Bank and Standard Chartered are now offering contactless cards. In December 2017, Ithmaar Bank partnered with Mastercard to offer a Sharia-compliant contactless World credit card in Bahrain. Similarly, in May 2018 Al Salam Bank launched Visa-branded Signature and Platinum contactless credit cards. Apart from contactless payment cards, contactless mobile payment options are also emerging in the country. In January 2017, telecom operator Batelco launched contactless mobile payment wallet EasyPay, enabling users to make NFCbased payments.
- To protect customers’ card details and to curb card fraud, in May 2017, the Central Bank of Bahrain announced a ban on doubleswiping payment cards at POS terminals from June 15, 2017. The restriction is intended to prevent the unauthorized storage of card holders’ information. Merchants in Bahrain had been double swiping for years in order to collect card payment details and card holders' personal data for internal accounting and marketing purposes.
- Alternative payments are gradually gaining prominence in Bahrain. In March 2018, telecom operator VIVA Bahrain collaborated with payment gateway SADAD to launch the VIVA Cash mobile wallet. The wallet can be used to make both domestic and international fund transfers, as well as utility bill and in-store payments. Meanwhile bwallet was launched by telecom operator Batelco in collaboration with electronic payment company Arab Financial Services (AFS) in January 2018. The solution enables users to make fund transfers and in-store payments. The service is available at more than 40 brands with 300 retail outlets.
- Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to Bahrain's cards and payments industry and each market within it.
- Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in Bahrain's cards and payments industry.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in Bahrain's cards and payments industry.
- Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in Bahrain.
- Gain insights into key regulations governing Bahrain's cards and payments industry.
- Market Overview
- Executive Summary
- Card-based Payments
- E-commerce Payments
- Alternative Payments
- Payment Innovations
- Payments Infrastructure & Regulation