PESTLE Insights: Macroeconomic Outlook Report - Thailand
Mining, manufacturing and utilities contributed 32.5% to the gross value added (GVA) in 2017, followed by wholesale, retail and hotels (20.9%) and financial intermediation, real estate and business activities (14%). In nominal terms, the three sectors are expected to grow by 5.0%, 4.3% and 4.6% respectively, in 2018.
Bangkok accounted for 32.5% of the Thailand’s gross domestic product as of 2017.
Reasons to buy
- As per the Logistics Performance Index 2018, Thailand’s rank improved significantly as it moved up to the 32nd position out of the total 160 nations, from 45th position in 2016.
- The overall SET index exhibits a upward trend over the last one year. As of August 27th, 2018, SET index stood at 1,717.2, compared to 1,585.8 on August 28th, 2017
- Majority of inward FDI was towards financial and insurance activities sector in 2017.
- Macroeconomic Outlook Report identifies the potentials of the country as an investment destination by analyzing the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure.
- PESTLE Insights provides 360 degree view of the economy which can be used as a strategic tool to understand the market dynamics, business potentials and direction of operations
- Along with providing the country’s snapshot, the report captures the risk factors pertaining to the macroeconomic risks, political environment, legal environment, demographic and social structure effectiveness, technology & infrastructure and natural and geographic aspects that might impact business.
- This report also highlights key clusters/cities which contribute significantly to the country GDP and population along with major companies’ presence in these areas.
- Did you Know?
- Country Highlights
- Country Snapshot
- PESTLE Insights
- Political Landscape
- Economic Landscape
- Social Landscape
- Technological Landscape
- Legal Landscape
- Environmental Landscape
- List of Figures
- Exhibit 1: Thailand’s Performance in Country Risk Analysis in Comparison to Asia Pacific and the World Average 11
- Exhibit 2: Performance Overview (Score: 1-100) 11
- Exhibit 3: Broad Categories and Weights behind the Index 12
- Exhibit 4: Stock Exchange of Thailand - SET Index 14
- Exhibit 5: Key Sectors Contribution to the Economy 15
- Exhibit 6: FDI inflows (2012-17) and share of FDI inflow by industry (2017) and FDI by industry (2013-2017) 16
- Exhibit 7: Foreign investment by country (2012-2017) and share of foreign investment by investing countries (2017) 18
- Exhibit 8: Key Infrastructure Indicators 20
- Exhibit 9: Real GDP and Household Consumption Growth Rate 24
- Exhibit 10: Real GDP Growth Rate Comparison (2017) 24
- Exhibit 11: Export, Import and Trade Balance 25
- Exhibit 12: Current Account Balance 25
- Exhibit 13: Top Three Commodity Exports, % of Total Exports, 2013-2016 26
- Exhibit 14: Nuclear reactors, boilers and machinery, % share in world exports, 2016 26
- Exhibit 15: Interest Rates 28
- Exhibit 16: Exchange Rate 28
- Exhibit 17: Public Finance 29
- Exhibit 18: General Government Debt 29
- Exhibit 19: Employment/Unemployment 31
- Exhibit 20: Average Annual Wages 31
- Exhibit 21: Labour Cost Index 31
- Exhibit 22: Rural/Urban Share in Total Population 32
- Exhibit 23: Age-group Share of Total Population 32
- Exhibit 24: Gender Split 32
- Exhibit 25: Internet Users % of Total Population, Mobile Penetration Rate and Broadband Penetration Rate, 2016 34
- Exhibit 26: Number of Patents Granted Per M Inhabitants, 2015 35
- Exhibit 27: High-technology Exports (% of manufactured exports) 35
- Exhibit 28: Doing Business in Thailand 2018 36
- Exhibit 29: Corruption Perception Index (Rankings) 2017 36
- Exhibit 30: CO2 Emissions 37