PESTLE Insights: Macroeconomic Outlook Report - Canada
Mining, manufacturing and utilities contributed 20.5% to the gross value added (GVA) in 2017, followed by financial intermediation, real estate and business activities (20.0%) and wholesale, retail and hotels activities (12.3%). In nominal terms, the three sectors are expected to grow by 4.2%, 4.4% and 3.7% respectively, in 2018.
While Calgary emerges as an energy hub of Canada; Toronto and Montreal remain financial centers.
Reasons to buy
- As per the Global Competitiveness Index 2017-2018, Canada’s infrastructure ranks 16th out of the total 137 nations.
- In 2016, the Canada government allocated US$180 bn in infrastructure fund to be spent over the next twelve years. Till date, over 7,800 projects with investment of over US$32 bn have been approved across Canada.
- Majority of inward FDI was from North America, Europe, and South and Central America in 2017.
- Macroeconomic Outlook Report identifies the potentials of the country as an investment destination by analyzing the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure.
- PESTLE Insights provides 360 degree view of the economy which can be used as a strategic tool to understand the market dynamics, business potentials and direction of operations
- Along with providing the country’s snapshot, the report captures the risk factors pertaining to the macroeconomic risks, political environment, legal environment, demographic and social structure effectiveness, technology & infrastructure and natural and geographic aspects that might impact business.
- This report also highlights key clusters/cities which contribute significantly to the country GDP and population along with major companies’ presence in these areas.
- Did you Know? 04
- Country Highlights 05
- Country Snapshot 07
- PESTLE Insights 20
- Political Landscape 21
- Economic Landscape 22
- Social Landscape 29
- Technological Landscape 32
- Legal Landscape 35
- Environmental Landscape 36
- Outlook 37
- List of Figures
- Exhibit 1: Canada’s Performance in the Country Risk Analysis in Comparison to North America and the World 11
- Exhibit 2: Performance Overview (Score: 1-100) 11
- Exhibit 3: Broad Categories and Weights behind the Index 12
- Exhibit 4: Canada Stock Market Index 14
- Exhibit 5: Key Sectors Contribution to the Economy 15
- Exhibit 6: FDI Inflows (2014-17) and Leading FDI Stocks (2013-17) and FDI Stocks by Region 2017 16
- Exhibit 7: Key Infrastructure Indicators 19
- Exhibit 8: Real GDP and Household Consumption Growth Rate 23
- Exhibit 9: Real GDP Growth Rate Comparison (2017) 23
- Exhibit 10: Export, Import and Trade Balance 24
- Exhibit 11: Current Account Balance 24
- Exhibit 12: Top Three Commodity Exports, % of Total Exports, 2013-2017 25
- Exhibit 13: Mineral Fuels, Mineral Oils and Products Share in World’s Total, 2017 25
- Exhibit 14: Interest Rates 27
- Exhibit 15: Exchange Rate 27
- Exhibit 16: Public Finance 28
- Exhibit 17: General Government Debt 28
- Exhibit 18: Employment/Unemployment 30
- Exhibit 19: Average Annual Wages 30
- Exhibit 20: Labour Cost Index 30
- Exhibit 21: Rural/Urban Share of Total Population 31
- Exhibit 22: Age-group Share of Total Population 31
- Exhibit 23: Gender Split 31
- Exhibit 24: Internet Users % of Total Population, Mobile and Broadband Penetration Rate, 2017 33
- Exhibit 25: Number of Patents Granted Per M Inhabitants, 2015 34
- Exhibit 26: Business Enterprise R&D Expenditure by Source of Funds, 2012-16 34
- Exhibit 27: Doing Business in Canada 2018 35
- Exhibit 28: Corruption Perception Index (Rankings) 2017 35
- Exhibit 29: CO2 Emissions 36