MediPoint: Sports Medicine - Global Analysis and Market Forecasts
Sports medicine is a specialized medical field that deals with understanding, diagnosing, and treating abnormalities in the joints, muscles, or skeletal structures as a result of sports or exercise. There has been a continuous increase in injuries due to sports and exercise, as society has realized the dangers of physical inactivity and significant effort has been made to discourage sedentariness. Therefore, sports medicine equally caters to professional athletes, as well as children and amateur adults who engage in an active lifestyle.
Sports medicine technology is built on minimally-invasive arthroscopic implants and equipment, and these will continue to drive this market, as well as other orthopaedic segments. As both a technique-driven and an implant-based field, there are arthroscopic products continuously entering the market for difficult-to-access joints, and smaller implants for smaller repairs. Materials development has been a key interest for physicians, as they look for more durable and biocompatible implant materials.
The global market for arthroscopy, which encompasses 39 countries and includes implant and capital equipment, was valued at approximately USD4.19B in 2016. The market is expected to grow at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 4.6%, to reach a valuation of USD5.73B in 2023. The key drivers for the arthroscopy device market during the forecast period are -
- The growing prevalence of sports injury caused by repetitive training
- The aging population suffering from osteoarthritis
- The obese population sustaining joint injuries due to improper biomechanics
- The growing number of individuals adopting western sports in the emerging nations
- Innovations in the biologics and cell-based industry to treat sports injuries conservatively
- The trend towards more minimally-invasive techniques to treat sports injuries, reducing cost and recovery time for patients
- Innovations in implant technology and niche products that increase surgical efficacy
As of 2016, North America comprised the largest segment of the sports medicine market, with a global sports medicine market share of 53%: 49% for arthroscopic implants, and 58% for arthroscopic capital equipment, as seen in GlobalData estimates that the global market share will stay within a 3% range over the forecast period although the APAC regions will experience the most growth. This will be due to an increase in low-cost manufacturers and a rise in medical tourism to countries like India. Nevertheless, multinational companies continue to dominate the market in sports medicine products in both arthroscopic implants and capital equipment, with up to 90% market share in the North America, EU, and APAC markets.
The dominant players in the sports medicine device market remain Arthrex, Smith & Nephew, DePuy Synthes Companies, Stryker, ConMed Corporation, Zimmer Biomet, Olympus, and Karl Storz. Arthrex holds the number one spot globally, with the top eight players holding a combined 93% market share. The rest of the market is held by small-to-medium enterprises that are involved in cutting-edge research and niche products. This market share distribution is apparent both globally and in each of the individual geographial regions.
The report “MediPoint: Sports Medicine - Global Analysis and Market Forecasts” focuses on the market outlook for sports medicine implants and capital equipment that are commonly used across sports injury procedures. Implant fixation products include suture anchors, interference screws, and other meniscal implants covering the knee, shoulder, hip, and small joints. Orthopedic arthroscopic capital equipment products include shavers, arthroscopes, radiofrequency (RF) wands, visualization systems, fluid management systems, and fluid disposables.
In depth, this report provides the analysis for the following -
- The report covers the 39 markets across North America (Canada, Mexico and US), Europe (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and UK), Asia-Pacific (APAC: Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, and Taiwan), South America (Argentina, Brazil, and Chile), and the Middle East and Africa (Egypt, Israel, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, and United Arab Emirates).
- Identifies the key unmet needs in the implant fixation and capital equipment markets, discusses the major drivers and barriers of adoption.
- Provides an in-depth understanding of physicians’ perceptions and the future outlook for this market by segment and geography, with an overall emphasis on current and future trends in the 39 countries.
Companies mentioned in this report: Arthrex, Zimmer Holdings, DePuy Mitek, Stryker, Smith & Nephew, Olympus, Karl Storz.Scope
Reasons to buyThe report will enable you to -
- Overview of the sports medicine market, including reimbursement trends and competitive analysis.
- Annualized total market revenue by type of device, procedure trends, and market outlooks by region through 2023.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, identification of unmet needs, reimbursement considerations, evaluating market access in each region covered in the report, and implications of the emerging technologies on the market.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global sports medicine market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, barriers, and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global sports medicine market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global sports medicine market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track device sales in the global, regional, and country-specific sports medicine market from 2015-2023
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.