Malaysia Baby Food
“Malaysia Baby Food” is an analytical report by GlobalData which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Malaysian market.
The number of births in Malaysia has been declining. Although the incidence of poverty has fallen, and a strong economy has made baby food affordable to a growing number of parents, purchases are restricted to the top 60%, mostly living in urban centers. Since 2012, retail sales of baby food have doubled, but consumption has not kept pace with value. The sector is dominated by milks (91% of retail sales), while cereals & dry meals claim a further 6%. Growth has been highest in the tiny wet meals category. Of the main manufacturers, only Nestlé produces cereals locally, although large volumes of milks are packaged locally. All ingredients must be halal certified.
Danone has consolidated its lead, ahead of Nestlé and FrieslandCampina; together these three account for over 70% of value. The three market leaders and Mead Johnson are strong in the milks category. Nestlé also has a firm grip on the cereals category and a growing presence in finger foods. Heinz has a virtual monopoly of wet meals and a strong position in finger foods, but is a minor player overall.
Sales of baby food have been moving towards larger grocery outlets, with modern outlets now taking 76% of sales. The positive economic outlook will lead to increases in most families’ incomes and higher retail sales, although consumption growth will be held back by lower birth numbers,
What else does this report offer?
- Consumption data based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing work and our in-house expertise to offer extensive data about the trends and dynamics affecting the industry.
- Detailed profile of the companies operating and new companies considering entry in the industry along with their key focus product sectors.
- Market profile of the various product sectors with the key features & developments, segmentation, per capita trends and the various manufacturers & brands.
- Overview of baby food retailing with a mention of the major retailers in the country along with the distribution channel.
- Future projections considering various trends which are likely to affect the industry.
Reasons to buy
- The number of live births in Malaysia fell by 4.5% between 2015 and 2018, giving a baby population of 1.5 million in 2018.
- Malaysia’s strong economic performance has made commercial baby food accessible to an increasing number of parents.
- The baby food sector is dominated by baby milks, which account for 9.1% of retail sales. Cereals & dry meals claim a further 6%.
- Of the main manufacturers, only Nestlé produces cereals locally, although large volumes of milks are packaged locally. All ingredients must be halal certified.
- Sales of baby food have been moving towards larger grocery outlets as the retail sector develops. By 2018, 76% of baby food was sold in modern outlets (supermarkets, hypermarkets, mini-markets and baby stores).
- From 2018 to 2024 consumption is forecast to grow by 6%, held back by lower birth numbers.
- Evaluate important changes in consumer behavior and identify profitable markets and areas for product innovation.
- Analyse current and forecast behavior trends in each category to identify the best opportunities to exploit.
- Detailed understanding of consumption by individual product categories in order to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Investigates which categories are performing the best and how this is changing market dynamics.
- Executive Summary
- The Consumer
- Socio-demographic Trends
- Working Women
- Breastfeeding Trends
- Sector Overview
- Manufacturer Shares
- Category Analysis
- Baby Milks
- Baby Cereals & Dry Meals
- Other Baby Foods
- Production & Trade
- Company Profiles
- Danone Dumex (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
- Nestlé (Malaysia) Bhd
- Dutch Lady Milk Industries Bhd (FrieslandCampina)
- Mead Johnson Nutrition (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
- Fonterra Brands Malaysia Sdn Bhd
- Heinz Malaysia
- Other Manufacturers
- Baby Food Retailing
- Economic Background
- Key Macroeconomic Forecasts
- Prospects & Forecasts
- Birth & Population Projections
- Forecast Overview
- Future Trends
- Additional Data Tables
- Summary Methodology
- About GlobalData