The Impact of Plain Packaging on Tobacco Products: Exploring the effects of plain packaging on consumer shopping behavior and opportunities for key industry players
This report outlines the reasons behind anti-tobacco legislation, and why plain packaging has been embraced by some governments as the next step in battling tobacco usage. The motivations and methods for introducing plain packaging in the various countries that have done so so far, as well as other major markets, are analyzed for the likelihood that they will introduce plain packaging in the future. The report also looks at whether plain packaging has proven to be an effective way of encouraging existing smokers to quit or stopping new ones from taking up the habit, and how tobacco companies can mitigate against its impact.
This report outlines the nature and extent of plain packaging legislation against tobacco around the world, and examines its possible application in other industries.
Reasons to buy
- At the time of publication, nine countries around the world had plain packaging legislation in place. Countries with a higher level of public health expenditure are more likely to have an intention to introduce plain packaging legislation.
- Early signs in the countries that have introduced plain packaging are that it has a small effect in encouraging existing smokers to quit, and in discouraging occasional smokers from using tobacco.
- Plain packaging is likely to lead to smokers becoming less brand loyal, creating opportunities to companies' to gain market share with good products and low prices.
- Tobacco companies can protect themselves by creating products at the value end of the market, or diversifying into tobacco alternative products.
- Understand a major regulatory development with implications for a variety of consumer goods sectors.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.
- Anti Tobacco Legislation: A Background
- What is plain packaging?
- Major Countries who have introduced plain packaging
- Major markets considering plain packaging
- Major markets unlikely to introduce plain packaging
- The current situation
- An analysis of countries who have introduced plain packaging
- An analysis of market types likely to introduce plain packaging
- An analysis of market types who may introduce plain packaging
- An analysis of market types unlikely to introduce plain packaging
- Early signs indicate that plain packaging helps regular smokers to quit
- Plain packaging seems to deter new smokers as expected
- Plain packaging is likely to have some unintended negative side effects
- Consumers are likely to less brand loyal due to plain packaging
- Brands will need to find other ways to differentiate beyond packaging
- Alternative strategies: Diversification
- Alternative strategies: Price cuts
- Countries likely to implement plain packaging in future
- Likelihood of plain packaging extending to other FMCG categories
- Tobacco legislation in the future