Top Growth Opportunities: Savory Snacks in Japan
Japan ranks third amongst the top ten countries in terms of per capita expenditure (in US$ terms). The per capita expenditure on savory snacks in US$ terms has declined at a CAGR of 2.7% in the last five years, but is forecast to grow during 2016-2021. This growth is primarily attributed to an improved economy and growing wage levels, resulting in higher disposable income among Japanese consumers.
Japanese savory snacks market decline was mostly local currency related, with a large improvement in the sector’s growth expected for the period 2016-2021. With a rising employment rate and high disposable incomes, time-poor working consumers in the country seek out convenient savory snacks products to consume on-the-go.
Moreover, consumers in Japan are increasingly willing to try convenient and innovative products with new flavours and tastes. Consequently, the market is expected to register high growth during 2016-2021, when compared to 2011-2016, and is expected to be worth US$11,704 Million by 2021.
Ethnic/traditional snacks, the leading value category, is expected to record the fastest growth at a CAGR of 7.5% during 2016-2021, followed by the processed snacks and potato chips categories. On the other hand, pretzels, the smallest value category, are expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.3% during 2016-2021.
The report Top Growth Opportunities: Savory Snacks in Japan, identifies the key demographic groups driving consumption, and what motivates their consumption. When combined with an in-depth study of market and category dynamics, readers are able to identify key opportunities, and what they need to do in order to target them. The report uses a unique method of quantifying consumer trends to highlight the degree of influence they have on consumption within the category.
In particular, this report provides access to the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Key consumer demographic groups driving consumption within the Japanese market. The figures showcase the number of times consumers of specific ages and gender consume Savory Snacks, as well as identifying whether these demographic groups over consume in the category (i.e. they account for a higher proportion of occasions than the proportion of society they represent overall).
- A study of market value and volumes over 2011-2016 for Japan, supplemented with category, brand and packaging analysis that shows the current state of the market, and how it will evolve over the 2016-2021 period.
- The degree of influence that the 20 key consumer trends identified by GlobalData have on Dairy & Soy Food consumption volumes, with granular analysis on the extent that degree of influences varies between gender and age group.
- Insight into the implications behind the data, and analysis of how the consumer needs will evolve in the short-to-medium term future.
- Examples of international and Malaysia-specific product innovation targeting key consumer needs.
AEON Co, Ito-Yokado, Maruetsu, 7-Eleven, Family Mart, Calbee, Inc., Bourbon Corporation Japan, Kameda Seika Co.,Ltd., PepsiCo, Inc., Kraft Heinz Company, Koikeya, Morinaga & Co., Oyatsu Company, Japan Frito Lay.Scope
Reasons to buy
- The Japanese Savory Snacks market declined during 2011-2016 in US dollar terms, mostly due to depreciation of the Japanese yen against the US dollar during the time period.
- The forecast for an improved annual growth between 2016 and 2021, is a result of both the strengthening of the Japanese currency, as well as consumers’ increasing need of quick and convenient food.
- Innovation in this sector will drive consumption growth, especially amongst young adults, as working lives become busier and consumer try to fit more activities in their increasingly time-scarce lives.
- Although snacking has not traditionally been part of the Japanese diet, Western influences and pairing snacks with alcoholic drinks will boost demand.
- This report brings together consumer analysis and market data to provide actionable insight into the behavior of the Japan's Savory Snacks consumers.
- This is based on GlobalData's unique consumer data, developed from extensive consumption surveys and consumer group tracking, which quantifies the influence of 20 consumption motivations in the Savory Snacks sector.
- Category, brand, and packaging dynamics are also examined. This allows product and marketing strategies to be better aligned with the leading trends in the market.
- Introducing a top growth market for savory snacks
- Top opportunity markets
- GlobalData Consumer's opportunity scoring methodology
- Top 10 global growth opportunities scores
- Top global issues
- Assessment against global strategic issues
- GlobalData's strategic issues map
- Projected future issues for the Global savory snacks sector
- Japan reward and risk assessment
- Opportunity score - Japan Overview
- Consumer savory snacks spending trends - peer group comparisons
- Political, Economic, Social, and Technological: Analysis
- Enablers and inhibitors of growth
- Savory snacks - Rewards and opportunities for growth
- Table Market value of Japan's savory snacks market, 2011 - 2021
- Summary of the savory snacks market in Japan
- Market insight - identifying the opportunities to move into
- Market growth by category
- Value growth of Japan's savory snacks market by category
- Contribution to change by value
- Table Category values (US$ millions)
- Volume growth of Japan's savory snacks market by category
- Contribution to change by volume
- Table Category volumes (millions kg)
- Level of premiumization by category
- Category analysis - key drivers of change in savory snacks
- Retail and distribution insight - key channels and retailers driving growth
- Savory snacks retail channel share - Japan
- Key Retail Channel trends
- Routes to market - retail overview
- Routes to market - key retailers
- Drivers of change in the savory snacks sector
- Company and brand insight - the competitive landscape defined
- Savory snacks category fragmentation
- Company and brand strength
- Private label penetration
- Table Private label growth compared to brands by category (in value terms), in Japan's savory snacks market, 2011-2016
- Brand Share by leading supplier for total savory snacks
- International and domestic brand analysis
- Table Top 5 international savory snacks brands
- Table Top 5 domestic savory snacks brands
- Company and brand strength
- Consumer insight - who, what, when, where and why
- Strategic issues map - pitfalls and opportunities
- Key consumer drivers for savory snacks
- Key consumers trends in Japanese savory snacks
- Consumer Groups - Key consumer targets
- Table 2016 Consumption volume shares by consumer group
- Key Health & Wellness trends
- How Health & Wellness benefits will contribute to growth
- Penetration of Health and Wellness claims by category
- Consumer trends summary
- Product and packaging insights -
- Key Product Insights in savory snacks
- Trends and strategic issues - other notable product trends
- Product & Packaging insights - Key product innovation case studies
- Key product innovation case study: Frito Lay Mike Yogurt Popcorn
- Key Packaging Insights
- Trends and strategic issues - package material trends
- Trends and strategic issues - packaging closure
- Product launch key takeouts
- White spaces and innovation opportunities - space to move into
- -Highest growth segments to target when entering the Japanese savory snacks sector
- Consumer spaces to target when entering the Japan savory snacks market
- Table Top volume CAGR categories 2011 - 2016
- Segment focus - opportunities
- Price change by category in the Japanese savory snacks sector
- Pricing strategies - movements in average prices for leading brands
- Table Monthly average price point, JPY
- Product launch key takeouts
- Recommendations for new ways to enter the savory snacks in Japan
- Category definitions
- Channel Definitions
- Market data measures definitions
- Consumer group measures definitions
- Research Methodology
- Market data - 50 country methodology
- Market data - additional 152 country methodology
- Consumer graphics methodology
- Health & wellness methodology
- Online price intelligence methodology