Top Growth Opportunities: Meat in Belgium
Belgium has a strong record for meat production, and is an exporter of pork and beef to surrounding EU countries. This will be impacted by the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union, and whether new trade agreements can be made, but the quality of Belgian meat is strong and the UK is not a major export market for the country compared to many in Western and Central Europe.
Despite a small decline in the value of the market during 2011-2016, the Belgian Meat market will rebound strongly and grow at a CAGR of 4.4% during 2016-2021. As economic uncertainty in the wider EU decreases, Belgium will see rising consumption as the private sector grows. The effect of this will include gains in employment and rises in wages as they have been indexed to inflation once more. Cheap and accessible credit is also expected to allow for easy business investments.
Belgium is a medium sized European Meat market that will see an end to its decline and a strong CAGR growth of 4.4% over the next five years. General consumption is expected to rise, and meat producers are not too reliant on UK exports if UK trade falls due to Brexit. Rising living standards will result from wages being indexed to inflation and this should mean consumers will find meat more affordable. A favourable climate for investment will also see a rise in NPD for meat products in this market, making it more exciting for consumers seeking novelty.
Belgium ranks amongst the largest markets in the global Meat sector in terms of per capita expenditure, but smaller than Hong Kong, the US, and Portugal. Furthermore, Belgium is forecast to have high growth in per capita meat consumption and will draw level with the US in the next five years; this is clearly a long term growth market for Meat products.
Belgians spend over US$600 per person per year on meat, higher than most other growth opportunity countries. This shows that meat is an important part of Belgian’s diets, and that when economic conditions improve it will be a spending priority for them. In addition, the high average spend is likely to mean that most meat products have high profit margins built into them.
Belgian pork and beef are two major exports for the country, with both being known for high quality. These are exported to countries both within the EU, and also outside of the EU in Central Asia, Hong Kong, China, and South Korea. Exports to China in particular doubled during the middle half of 2016. The broad range of export nations means that Belgian meat producers have reliable profits that can be invested in technology or data advances to improve production efficiency and make cost savings.
The report Top Growth Opportunities: Meat in Belgium provides recommended actions and detailed analysis of how to target the best growth opportunities for meat producers and retailers. Readers can understand what categories, channels, companies, and consumers will drive the success of Meat markets in Belgium.
In particular, this report provides the following analysis -
- Key consumer demographic groups driving consumption within the Belgian market. Improve your consumer targeting by understand who’s driving the market, what they want, and why.
- A study of market value and volumes over 2011-2016 for Belgium, supplemented with category, brand and packaging analysis that shows the current state of the market, and how it will evolve over the 2016-2021 period.
- White space analysis, to pinpoint attractive spaces in the market and the key actions to take.
- Insight into the implications behind the data, and analysis of how the consumer needs will evolve in the short-to-medium term future.
- Examples of international and Western Europe-specific product innovation targeting key consumer needs.
Companies mentioned in this report: Noordvlees, Brauwer, Jademo, Herta, Aldi, Colruyt, Carrefour, Lidl.Scope
Reasons to buy
- Belgium presents a strong opportunity due the expected improvement in Meat consumption levels, fueled by Premiumization in the market.
- Belgium’s Meat market contracted during the economic trouble in 2011-2016 and is forecast to maintain a healthy growth, albeit at a slower pace during 2016-2021
- Spending on Meat per capita in Belgium is high compared to similar countries
- Lamb is the fastest growing segment across various Meat categories.
- Consumption has been driven by the oldest and youngest consumers
- This report brings together consumer analysis and market data to provide actionable insight into the behavior of Belgium's Meat consumers.
- This is based on GlobalData's unique consumer data, developed from extensive consumption surveys and consumer group tracking, which quantifies the influence of 20 consumption motivations in the Meat sector.
- Category, brand, and packaging dynamics are also examined. This allows product and marketing strategies to be better aligned with the leading trends in the market.
- Introducing a top growth market for meat
- Top opportunity markets
- GlobalData Consumer's opportunity scoring methodology
- Top 10 global growth opportunities scores
- Top global issues
- Assessment against global strategic issues
- GlobalData's strategic issues map
- Predicted future issues for the global meat sector
- Belgian Meat reward and risk assessment
- Consumer meat spending trends – peer group comparisons
- Opportunity score – Belgium Overview
- Political, Economic, Social and Technological: Analysis
- Enablers and inhibitors of growth
- Belgium – Rewards and opportunities for growth
- Table Market value of Belgium meat, 2011 – 2021
- Summary of the Meat market in Belgium
- Market insight – identifying the opportunities to move into
- Market growth by category
- Value growth of the Belgian Meat market by category
- Contribution to change by value
- Table Category values (US$ millions)
- Volume growth of Belgium Meat market by category
- Contribution to change by volume
- The Chilled Raw Packaged Meat - Whole Cuts category is forecast to see the largest gains in volume share of Belgian meat
- Table Category volumes (million Kg)
- Level of premiumization by category
- Category analysis – key drivers of change in meat
- Retail and distribution insight – key channels and retailers driving growth
- Meat retail channel share – Belgium
- Key Retail Channel trends
- Routes to market – retail overview
- Routes to market – key retailers
- Drivers of change in the meat sector
- Company and brand insight – the competitive landscape defined
- Meat category fragmentation
- Company and brand strength
- Private label penetration
- Table Private label value penetration 2016 Private label growth compared to brands by category (in value terms), in Belgium's Meat market, 2011-2016
- Brand Share by leading supplier for total Belgian meat
- International and domestic brand analysis
- Table Top 2 international Meat brands
- Table Top 5 domestic Meat brands
- Company and brand strength
- Consumer insight – who, what, when, where and why
- Strategic issues map – pitfalls and opportunities
- Key consumer drivers for meat
- Key consumers trends in Belgian meat
- Consumer groups – Key consumer targets
- Table 2016 Consumption volume shares by consumer group
- Key Health & Wellness trends
- Consumer trends summary
- Product and packaging insights
- Key Product Insights in meat
- Trends and strategic issues – other notable product trends
- Product & Packaging insights – Key product innovation case studies
- Key product innovation case study : Bio Grobe Leberwurst mit Honig
- Key Packaging Insights
- Trends and strategic issues – packaging material trends
- Trends and strategic issues – packaging closure
- Product launch key takeouts
- White spaces and innovation opportunities – space to move into
- Highest growth segments to target when entering the US meat sector
- Consumer spaces to target when entering the Belgian Meat market
- Table Top volume CAGR categories 2011- 2016
- Segment focus – opportunities
- Product Launch key takeouts
- Recommendations for new ways to enter the meat sector in Belgium
- Category Definitions: Loose & Unpackaged sales of fresh and cooked meat are tracked
- Category Definitions: Ambient Meat
- Category Definitions: Frozen Meat
- Category Definitions: Chilled Raw Packaged Meat – Whole Cuts
- Category Definitions: Chilled Raw Packaged Meat – Processed
- Category Definitions: Cooked Meats - Counter
- Category Definitions: Cooked Meats - Packaged
- Category Definitions: Fresh Meat (Counter)
- Channel Definitions
- Product Attribute Definitions: Food Minus
- Product Attribute Definitions: Functional & Fortified
- Product Attribute Definitions: Naturally Healthy (NH)
- Product Attribute Definitions: Food Intolerance (FI)
- Accreditation Definitions
- Consumer Benefit Definitions: Performance
- Consumer Benefit Definitions: Health Management
- Consumer Benefit Definitions: Weight & Shape Management
- Consumer Benefit Definitions: Beauty From Within
- Consumer Benefit Definitions: General Wellbeing
- Consumer Packaged Goods Retail Data
- Health & Wellness data is built using detailed store audits in combination with market volumes from GlobalData's market data research