Top Growth Opportunities: Dairy & Soy Food in the US
United States ranks second amongst the top ten markets in the global Dairy & Soy Food sector in terms of per capita expenditure in US$ terms, lower than Australia. Further, the US is forecast to have moderate growth in per capita dairy and soy consumption mainly due to the sluggish population growth and slow economic growth. However, it is the largest market globally, which makes it lucrative for manufacturers to invest.
The US is one of the largest and most mature Dairy markets globally with a value of almost US$124 billion. This, along with forecast growth of 1.3% is suggestive of a highly competitive market with mid-ranged opportunity for Dairy producers, though its size makes the US too large to ignore in value terms. This middling reward score is bolstered slightly by the risk score, representative of the country’s status as a developed economy and as a pillar of the global economy.
In the US, the majority of Dairy & Soy Food categories are expected to record similar growth rates in the next five years when compared to growth rate registered during 2011-2016. Cheese, the largest value category which recorded growth at a CAGR of 1.4% during 2011-2016 is expected to grow at a marginally slower CAGR of 1.3% during 2016-2021. Further, the Milk category which declined by -1.3% in the last five years is expected to grow at a sluggish CAGR of 0.04% in the next five years. Drinkable Yogurt, the smallest value category which exhibited a CAGR of 5.7% during 2011-2016 is forecast to record the fastest growth at a CAGR of 6.7% in the next five years.
Off-trade Dairy sector has accounted for a higher value in US$ terms than the On-trade, an effect mirroring general moves amongst the US consumers towards more consumption occurring within the home. However, the On-trade sector recorded higher growth than the Off-trade sector in the US Dairy & Soy Food market during the last five years indicating consumers changing preferences of consumption of dairy and soy products outside home.
The report Top Growth Opportunities: Dairy & Soy Food in the US provides recommended actions and detailed analysis of how to target the best growth opportunities for Dairy & Soy Food producers and retailers. Readers can understand what categories, channels, companies, and consumers will drive the success of Dairy & Soy Food markets in the US through our detailed and robust data, expert insight, and case studies.
In particular, this report provides the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Key consumer demographic groups driving consumption within the US market. Improve your consumer targeting by understand who’s driving the market, what they want, and why.
- A study of market value and volumes over 2011-2016 for the US, supplemented with category, brand and packaging analysis that shows the current state of the market, and how it will evolve over the 2016-2021 period.
- White space analysis, to pinpoint attractive spaces in the market and the key actions to take.
- Insight into the implications behind the data, and analysis of how the consumer needs will evolve in the short-to-medium term future.
- Examples of international and US-specific product innovation targeting key consumer needs.
Walmart Supercenters, Albertsons/Safeway Inc., Kroger Supermarkets, Publix, Costco Warehouses, 7-Eleven, Walmart Neighborhood Markets, ALDI, Trader Joe’s, WinCo, The Kraft Heinz Company, Dean Foods Company, The Whitewave Food Company, Sargento Foods Inc, Groupe Danone SA, Chobani LLC, Unilever Plc, General Mills Inc, Tillamook Country Creamery Association, Saputo Inc, Conagra Foods.Scope
Reasons to buy
- The US is one of the largest and most mature Dairy markets globally with a value of almost US$124 billion. This, along with forecast growth of 1.3% is suggestive of a highly competitive market with mid-ranged opportunity for Dairy producers, though its size makes the US too large too ignore in value terms. n in 2011 to US$36,410.2 million in 2016.
- The US ranks second amongst the top ten markets in the global Dairy & Soy Food sector in terms of per capita expenditure in US$ terms, lower than Australia.
- In the US, the majority of Dairy & Soy Food categories are expected to record similar growth rates in the next five years when compared to growth rate registered during 2011-2016. Cheese, the largest value category which recorded growth at a CAGR of 1.4% during 2011-2016 is expected to grow at a marginally slower CAGR of 1.3% during 2016-2021.
- This report brings together consumer analysis and market data to provide actionable insight into the behavior of the US Dairy & Soy Food consumers.
- This is based on GlobalData's unique consumer data, developed from extensive consumption surveys and consumer group tracking, which quantifies the influence of 20 consumption motivations in the Dairy & Soy Food sector.
- Category, brand, and packaging dynamics are also examined. This allows product and marketing strategies to be better aligned with the leading trends in the market.
- Introducing a top growth market for Dairy
- Top opportunity markets
- GlobalData Consumer's opportunity scoring methodology
- Top 10 global growth opportunities scores
- Top global issues
- Assessment against global strategic issues
- GlobalData's strategic issues map
- Predicted future issues for the Global Dairy sector
- The US reward and risk assessment
- Opportunity score - The US Overview
- Consumer dairy spending trends - peer group comparisons
- Political, Economic, Social and Technological: Analysis
- Enablers and inhibitors of growth
- Dairy & Soy Food - Rewards and opportunities for growth
- Table Market value of the US Dairy & Soy Food market, 2011 - 2016
- Summary of the Dairy market in the US
- Market insight - identifying the opportunities to move into
- Market growth by category
- Value growth of the US Dairy & Soy Food market by category
- Contribution to change by value
- Table Category values (US$ millions)
- Volume growth of the US Dairy & Soy Food market by category
- Contribution to change by volume
- Table Category volumes (millions Kg)
- Level of premiumization by category
- Category analysis - key drivers of change in Dairy
- Retail and distribution insight - key channels and retailers driving growth
- Dairy & Soy Food retail channel share - The US
- Key Retail Channel trends
- Routes to market - retail overview
- Routes to market - key retailers
- Drivers of change in Dairy
- Company and brand insight - the competitive landscape defined
- Dairy & Soy Food category fragmentation
- Company and brand strength
- Private label penetration
- Table Private label growth compared to brands by category (in value terms), in the US Dairy & Soy Food market, 2011-2016
- Brand Share by leading supplier for total Dairy and Soy
- International and domestic brand analysis
- Table Top 5 international Dairy & Soy Food brands
- Table Top 5 domestic Dairy & Soy Food brands
- Company and brand strength
- Consumer insight - who, what, when, where and why
- Strategic issues map - key consumer trends affecting market strategy
- Strategic issues map - pitfalls and opportunities
- Key consumer drivers for Dairy
- Key consumers trends in US Dairy
- Consumer Groups - Key consumer targets
- Table 2016 Consumption volume shares by consumer group
- Consumer Groups - key consumption motivators
- Key Health & Wellness trends
- How Health & Wellness benefits will contribute to growth
- Penetration of Health and Wellness claims by category
- Consumer trends summary
- Product and packaging insights -
- Key Product Insights in Dairy
- Trends and strategic issues - other notable product trends
- Product & Packaging insights - Key product innovation case studies
- Key product innovation case study: Organic Lowfat Milk
- Key Packaging Insights
- Trends and strategic issues - packaging material trends
- Trends and strategic issues - packaging closure
- Product launch key takeouts
- White spaces and innovation opportunities - space to move into
- Highest growth segments to target when entering the US meat sector
- Consumer spaces to target when entering the US meat market
- Table Top volume CAGR categories 2011 - 2016
- Segment focus - opportunities
- Price change by category in the US Dairy & Soy Food sector
- Pricing strategies - movements in average prices for leading brands
- Table Monthly average unit price point, US$
- Recommendations for new ways to enter the Dairy sector in the US
- Category Definitions
- Channel Definitions
- Research Methodology
- Market Data - 50 Country Methodology
- Market Data - Additional 152 Country Methodology
- Consumer Graphics Methodology
- Health & Wellness Methodology
- Online Price Intelligence Methodology