Top Growth Opportunities: Dairy & Soy Food in Japan
Japan ranks among the largest markets in the Global Dairy & Soy Food sector in terms of per capita expenditure in US dollar terms, being lower than Australia, the US, and Saudi Arabia. Although it is not as common in Japan as in most developed countries, high incomes and spending power fuel a high per capita expenditure when it is bought. Japan is forecast to witness high growth in per capita dairy and soy consumption, and is clearly a long-term growth market.
Japan is a major world economy with the third largest GDP in the world and 10th largest population. It is highly developed, with high life expectancy and a robust, innovative consumer economy. Milk and dairy products only came to Japan after the Westernization of the Meiji period in the latter half of the 19th century and the Dairy industry isn’t as integral to the food economy as in the West, particularly in the Cheese market, due to a lack of farmland. However, Japan is well placed to utilize various farming technologies to boost dairy production and create new dairy products that can better appeal to Japanese consumers.
Japanese Dairy market declined during 2011-2016 in US dollar terms, mostly due to depreciation of the Japanese yen against the US dollar during the time period. However, a substantial 6.5% CAGR is forecast during 2016-2021. Dairy is not a traditionally strong sector in the Japanese diet, and the opening up of Japanese consumers to more Western dietary choices will create opportunities for growth. Other factors expected to aid the growth of the Japanese dairy industry are the growing perception that yogurt gives a wide variety of health benefits and the use of technology in dairy farming, which can help reduce prices through savings in scarce farming labor
Dairy has been somewhat present in Japanese cuisine for many decades, but the previously lauded Western diet has shown to be unhealthy in many respects, and fatty dairy products that can be poor for digestion is one group many Japanese consumers will increasingly move away from in favor of more traditionally Japanese foods. The rapid embrace of technology such as milking machines and monitoring devices is enabling many Japanese farms to increase their cattle numbers; however, struggles to find agricultural labor, and concerns regarding animal welfare threaten to offset this.
The report Top Growth Opportunities: Dairy & Soy Food in Japan provides an overview of the meat market, analyzing market data, demographic consumption patterns within the category, and the key consumer trends driving consumption.
In depth, this report provides the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Key consumer demographic groups driving consumption within the Japanese market. The figures showcase the number of times consumers of specific ages and gender consume Dairy & Soy, as well as identifying whether these demographic groups over consume in the category (i.e. they account for a higher proportion of occasions than the proportion of society they represent overall).
- A study of market value and volumes over 2011-2016 for Japan, supplemented with category, brand and packaging analysis that shows the current state of the market, and how it will evolve over the 2016-2021 period.
- The degree of influence that the 20 key consumer trends identified by GlobalData have on Dairy & Soy consumption volumes, with granular analysis on the extent that degree of influences varies between gender and age group.
- Insight into the implications behind the data, and analysis of how the consumer needs will evolve in the short-to-medium term future.
- Examples of international and Japan-specific product innovation targeting key consumer needs.
Meiji Holdings Co. Ltd., Megmilk Snow Brand Co., Ltd., Morinaga Milk Industry Co., Ltd. The Kraft Heinz Company, Rokko Butter Co., Ltd., Groupe Danone S.A., Yakult Honsha Co., Ltd., Ouchiyama Dairy, Yotsuba Milk Products Co., Ltd., Fromageries Bel S.A.Scope
Reasons to buy
- The Japanese Dairy market declined during 2011-2016 in US dollar terms, however, a substantial CAGR is forecast during 2016-2021.
- The Dairy market has been value-driven over the last five years.
- Private label penetration is exceptionally low in the Japanese Dairy & Soy market.
- Various Health & Wellness trends are contributing heavily to the strong overall growth in the H+W market for Japanese Dairy.
- This report brings together consumer analysis and market data to provide actionable insight into the behavior of Japan's Dairy & Soy consumers.
- This is based on GlobalData's unique consumer data, developed from extensive consumption surveys and consumer group tracking, which quantifies the influence of 20 consumption motivations in the Dairy & Soy sector.
- Category, brand, and packaging dynamics are also examined.
- This allows product and marketing strategies to be better aligned with the leading trends in the market.
- Introducing a top growth market for Dairy
- Top opportunity markets for Dairy
- GlobalData Consumer's opportunity scoring methodology
- Top 10 global growth opportunities scores
- Top global issues
- Assessment against global strategic issues
- GlobalData's strategic issues map
- Predicted future issues for the Global Dairy sector
- Japan reward and risk assessment
- Opportunity score - Japan Overview
- Consumer dairy spending trends - peer group comparisons
- Political, Economic, Social, and Technological: Analysis
- Enablers and inhibitors of growth
- Dairy & Soy Food - Rewards and opportunities for growth
- Table Value of Japan's Dairy & Soy Food market, 2011-2016
- Summary of the Dairy market in Japan
- Market insight - identifying the opportunities to move into
- Market growth by category
- Value growth of the Japanese Dairy & Soy Food market by category
- Contribution to change by value
- Table Category values (US$ millions)
- Volume growth of the Japanese Dairy & Soy Food market by category
- Contribution to change by volume
- Table Category volumes (millions Kg)
- Level of premiumization by category
- Category analysis - key drivers of change in Dairy
- Retail and distribution insight - key channels and retailers driving growth
- Dairy & Soy Food retail channel share - Japan
- Key Retail Channel trends
- Routes to market - retail overview
- Routes to market - key retailers
- Drivers of change in the Japanese Dairy Sector
- Company and brand insight - the competitive landscape defined
- Dairy & Soy Food category fragmentation
- Company and brand strength
- Private label penetration
- Brand Share by leading supplier for total Dairy and Soy
- International and domestic brand analysis
- Table Top five international Dairy & Soy Food
- Table Top five domestic Dairy & Soy Food
- Company and brand strength
- Consumer insight - who, what, when, where and why
- Strategic issues map - pitfalls and opportunities
- Key consumer drivers for Dairy
- Key consumer trends in Japanese Dairy
- Consumer Groups - Key consumer targets
- Key Health & Wellness trends
- How Health & Wellness benefits will contribute to growth
- Penetration of Health & Wellness claims by category
- Consumer trends summary
- Product and packaging insights
- Key Product Insights in Dairy
- Trends and strategic issues - other notable product trends
- Product & Packaging insights - Key product innovation case studies
- Key product innovation case study: QBB Cheese Dessert Vege - Cheese Dessert - Tomato Berry & Orange, Carrot & Golden Pine
- Key Packaging Insights
- Trends and strategic issues - packaging material trends
- Trends and strategic issues - packaging closure
- - Product launch key takeouts
- White spaces and innovation opportunities - space to move into
- - Highest growth segments to target when entering the Japanese Dairy sector
- Consumer spaces to target when entering the Japanese Dairy market
- Segment focus - opportunities
- Price change by category in the Japanese Dairy sector
- Pricing strategies - movements in average prices for leading brands
- Table Monthly average price point, US$
- Product launch key takeouts
- Recommendations for new ways to enter the Dairy sector in Japan
- Category Definitions
- Channel Definitions
- Research Methodology
- Market Data - 50 Country Methodology
- Market Data - Additional 152 Country Methodology
- Consumer Graphics Methodology
- Health & Wellness Methodology
- Online Price Intelligence Methodology