Top Growth Opportunities: Bakery & Cereals in Malaysia
Malaysia is one of the fastest growing economies in the Asia-Pacific region, with the potential to become the world's 21st largest economy by 2050, according to HSBC. However, the recent political scandal against its current prime minister has caused the sharp depreciation of the Malaysian Ringgit since 2015.
Malaysia is a relatively small Bakery & Cereals market, but it will see very strong growth over the next five years, with a CAGR of 7.8% by 2021. Rising disposable incomes and a growing middle class will drive further bakery and cereal consumption in Malaysia, as part of a healthy diet, as bakery and cereals contain high levels of fiber and are a source of calories. Younger generations’ growing preference for Westernized products, and further urbanization, will also be among the drivers behind growing bakery and cereal consumption.
In Malaysia, rising demand for convenient food options and consumers’ willingness to seek culinary products with new tastes and flavours is driving the growth of the sector. Furthermore, Malaysia is a country with large base of young population, who has been exposed to western cultures. These consumers have the willingness to spend more on bread products as staple food. Consequently, the Malaysian Bakery & Cereals market offers good opportunities in terms of per capita expenditure in US$ terms.
Malaysian Bakery & Cereals market declined at a CAGR of 2.0% during 2011-2016. However, the market is forecast to register faster growth and is expected to be worth US$1,347.8 Million by 2021. A large young population and rising demand for convenient on-the-go food options are driving the demand for bakery and cereals in the country.
The report Top Growth Opportunities: Bakery & Cereals in Malaysia, identifies the key demographic groups driving consumption, and what motivates their consumption. When combined with an in-depth study of market and category dynamics, readers are able to identify key opportunities, and what they need to do in order to target them. The report uses a unique method of quantifying consumer trends to highlight the degree of influence they have on consumption within the category.
In particular, this report provides the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Key consumer demographic groups driving consumption within the Malaysian market. The figures showcase the number of times consumers of specific ages and gender consume Bakery & Cereals, as well as identifying whether these demographic groups over consume in the category (i.e. they account for a higher proportion of occasions than the proportion of society they represent overall).
- A study of market value and volumes over 2011-2016 for Malaysia, supplemented with category, brand and packaging analysis that shows the current state of the market, and how it will evolve over the 2016-2021 period.
- The degree of influence that the 20 key consumer trends identified by GlobalData have on Bakery & Cereals consumption volumes, with granular analysis on the extent that degree of influences varies between gender and age group.
- Insight into the implications behind the data, and analysis of how the consumer needs will evolve in the short-to-medium term future.
OAF Ltd., Cereal Partners Worldwide S.A., Mondelez International, Inc., The Kellogg Company, PepsiCo, FFM Berhad, Hup Serg Perusahaan Makanan (M) Sdn. Bhd., Torto Food Industries (M) Sdn Bhd., Perfect Food Manufacturing (M) Sdn. Bhd., Munchy's Group.Scope
Reasons to buy
- Malaysia was one of the smallest Bakery & Cereals markets in value terms, but further urbanization, rise of middle class, and young generations increasing Westernization are driving growth in Bakery & Cereals consumption.
- Among the top ten countries, the per capita expenditure of Malaysia in the Bakery & Cereals market is low in US$ terms.
- There were opportunities for premiumization in some categories such as Breakfast Cereals and Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies, where value sales in local currency grew higher than volume consumption, in the 2011-2016 period.
- Top international Bakery & Cereals brands outperform top domestic ones in Malaysia.
- This report brings together consumer analysis and market data to provide actionable insight into the behavior of Malaysia's Bakery & Cereals consumers.
- This is based on GlobalData's unique consumer data, developed from extensive consumption surveys and consumer group tracking, which quantifies the influence of 20 consumption motivations in the Bakery & Cereals sector.
- Category, brand, and packaging dynamics are also examined. This allows product and marketing strategies to be better aligned with the leading trends in the market.
- Introducing a top growth market for Bakery & Cereals
- Top opportunity markets for Bakery & Cereals
- GlobalData Consumer's opportunity scoring methodology
- Top 10 global growth opportunities scores
- Top global issues
- Assessment against global strategic issues
- GlobalData's strategic issues map
- Predicted future issues for the Global Bakery & Cereals sector
- Malaysia reward and risk assessment
- Opportunity score - Malaysia Overview
- Consumer bakery spending trends - peer group comparisons
- Political, Economic, Social, and Technological: Analysis
- Enablers and inhibitors of growth
- Bakery & Cereals - Rewards and opportunities for growth
- Table Market value of the Malaysian Bakery & Cereals market, 2011-2021
- Summary of the Bakery & Cereals market in Malaysia
- Market insight - identifying the opportunities to move into
- Market growth by category
- Value growth of the Malaysian Bakery & Cereals market by category
- Contribution to change by value
- Table Category values (US$ millions)
- Volume growth of the Malaysian Bakery & Cereals market by category
- Contribution to change by volume
- Table Category volumes (millions Kg)
- Level of premiumization by category
- Category analysis - key drivers of change in Bakery & Cereals
- Retail and distribution insight - key channels and retailers driving growth
- Bakery & Cereals retail channel share - Malaysia
- Key Retail Channel trends
- Routes to market - retail overview
- Routes to market - key retailers
- Drivers of change in the Malaysian Bakery & Cereals sector
- Company and brand insight - the competitive landscape defined
- Bakery & Cereals category fragmentation
- Company and brand strength
- Private label penetration
- Table Private label growth compared to brands by category (in value terms), in the Malaysian Bakery & Cereals market, 2011-2016
- Brand share by leading supplier for total Bakery & Cereals
- International and domestic brand analysis
- Table Top five international Bakery & Cereals
- Table Top five domestic Bakery & Cereals
- Company and brand strength
- Consumer insight - who, what, when, where, and why
- Strategic issues map - pitfalls and opportunities
- Key consumer drivers for Bakery & Cereals
- Key consumers trends in Malaysian Bakery & Cereals
- Consumer Groups - Key consumer targets
- Table 2016 Consumption volume shares by consumer group
- Key Health & Wellness trends
- How Health & Wellness benefits will contribute to growth
- Penetration of Health and Wellness claims by category
- Consumer trends summary
- Product and packaging insights -
- Key Product Insights in Bakery & Cereals
- Trends and strategic issues - other notable product trends
- Product & Packaging insights - Key product innovation case studies
- Key product innovation case study: Yogood Junior Cocoa Biscuits
- Key Packaging Insights
- Trends and strategic issues - package material trends
- Trends and strategic issues - packaging closures
- Product launch key take-outs
- White spaces and innovation opportunities - space to move into
- Highest growth segments to target when entering the Malaysian Bakery & Cereals sector
- Consumer spaces to target when entering the Malaysian Bakery & Cereals market
- Table Top volume CAGR categories 2011-2016
- Segment focus - opportunities
- Product launch key takeouts
- Recommendations for new ways to enter the Bakery & Cereals sector in Malaysia
- Category Definitions
- Channel Definitions
- Research Methodology
- Market Data - 50 Country Methodology
- Market Data - Additional 152 Country Methodology
- Consumer Graphics Methodology
- Health & Wellness Methodology
- Online Price Intelligence Methodology