Ecommerce in Europe: Landscape, Drivers & Inhibitors, and Telco Roles in the Value Chain
Even though European ecommerce market is well-developed, it is set to see high-paced growth. The ecommerce market in Europe will expand on the back of the developed ICT infrastructure, high mobile Internet penetration, development of the Gigabit society, the popularization of electronic payments, the move towards the single euro payment area, and the growing use of BDA, machine learning, and AI.
It is estimated that ecommerce (B2C) transactions in the largest Western European economies - UK, France, and Germany - generated a combined $409.2 billion in 2018, making them the largest ecommerce markets in Europe. Increased quality of Internet connectivity and the proliferation of alternative payment methods are two important factors driving ecommerce adoption in Europe.
A number of telecom operators in the region have been present in the ecommerce arena for over 20 years. Over time, telcos built up ecommerce skills and knowledge capabilities by acquiring and investing in companies within the ecommerce ecosystem. They are positioning themselves as key technology enablers through the development of one-stop-shops for online retailers, offering a wide range of services supporting and enabling ecommerce activities, ranging from connectivity and payment solutions to web hosting and cloud.
Ecommerce in Europe: Landscape, Drivers & Inhibitors, and Telco Roles in the Value Chain, is a new Telecom Insider Report providing an executive-level overview of the ecommerce market in Europe. The report examines the main growth drivers and players operating on it. Special attention is put on understanding the role that telcos play in the ecommerce value chain. This report also includes a brief definition and categorization of the main types of ecommerce, as well as insights for the largest markets in the region.
Three case studies illustrating the findings of the report, providing insights around ecommerce offering in the region are included within the report. The case studies also give an overview of the type of ecommerce solutions, use cases and value propositions telcos have rolled out.
The report delivers deep qualitative insights into the ecommerce market, ecommerce value chain, and ecosystem dynamics in the region. It also analyzes key trends and ecommerce solutions being implemented in Europe.
It provides an in-depth analysis of the following -
Reasons to buy
- Section 1: Definition and ecommerce market context in Europe; provides a general overview, looking at key market insights and growth trends and providing an overview of the main ecommerce players in the region. This section also analyzes in detail the main growth drivers and examines the role that telecom operators play in the ecommerce value chain.
- Section 2: Case studies; includes three case studies on key ecommerce players: illustrates the findings of the report, providing insights around ecommerce offering in the region. The case studies also give an overview of the type of ecommerce solutions, use cases, and value propositions telcos have rolled out.
- Section 3: Key findings and recommendations; the insider concludes with a number of key findings and a set of recommendations for the ecommerce stakeholders, including telecom service providers.
- This Insider Report provides a comprehensive examination of the main trends taking place in European ecommerce market, helping executives fully understand market dynamics, determine what works and what doesn’t, formulate effective product development plans, and optimize resource allocation and return on investment.
- The report includes examples on strategies adopted by ecommerce players that illustrate the findings of the report; this will help the reader understand both the challenges confronted in the real world and the strategies employed to overcome those challenges.
- With more than ten exhibits, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, to help to understand the ecommerce market, analyzing key trends, and strategies.
- Executive Summary
- Section 1: Definitions & Ecommerce Market Context in Europe
- Ecommerce Definition
- Ecommerce Market Drivers in Europe
- Improved Connectivity
- Popularization of Electronic Payments
- Emergence of Big Data and AI
- Key Ecommerce Players in Europe
- Telco Roles in the Ecommerce Value Chain
- Section 2: Case Studies
- Deutsche Telekom
- Section 3: Key Findings and Recommendations
- Acronyms and Definitions
- Companies Mentioned
- Related Research
- List of Figures
- EXHIBIT 1: Definition of Ecommerce
- EXHIBIT 2: Global Ecommerce Market Insights
- EXHIBIT 3: Competitive Ecommerce Market Drivers in Europe
- EXHIBIT 4: Residential Broadband Line Penetration of Households, 2018 vs. 2023
- EXHIBIT 5: Mobile Internet Subscription Penetration of the Population, 2018 vs. 2023
- EXHIBIT 6: Smartphone Penetration of the Population, 2018 vs. 2023
- EXHIBIT 7: Epayments Trends in Europe
- EXHIBIT 8: Benefits of Big Data in the Ecommerce Decision-Making Process
- EXHIBIT 9: Leading Ecommerce Platforms in Europe
- EXHIBIT 10: Sample of Telco ICT Proposition for Ecommerce Players Mapped Against the Ecommerce Customer Journey
- EXHIBIT 11: BT Ecommerce Value Proposition
- EXHIBIT 12: Deutsche Telekom Ecommerce Value Proposition
- EXHIBIT 13: Telia Ecommerce Value Proposition