Country Profile: Wine Sector in China
Chinese Wine sector accounted for a volume share of 8.2% of the global market and 62.9% of the regional (Asia-Pacific) market, in 2016. The sector is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.7% during 2016-2021. Growing popularity of wine among the large young population base and rising disposable income is contributing to the growth of the sector. Per capita consumption stood at 1.8 liters compared to the global and Asia-Pacific levels of 6.2 liters and 1.3 liters, respectively, in 2016.
Still Wine was the largest with value sales of C¥364,951.2Million (US$55,427.6Million) in 2016. The market is also expected to grow the fastest at a CAGR of 8.8% during 2016-2021, compared to Sparkling Wine.
On-trade transactions accounted for the volume share of 49.7% distribution of wine in 2016. It was followed by Hypermarkets & Supermarkets and Food & Drinks Specialists with a share of 23.4% and 23.1% share, respectively. Glass is the most commonly used package material in the Chinese Wine sector. In 2016, it accounted for a volume share of 90.1%, followed by Rigid Plastics and Rigid Metal, with shares of 8.88% and 0.02%, respectively.
The top five brands in the Chinese Wine sector accounted for a 47.4% volume share in 2016. Private labels accounted for 0.9% value share in the same year. The consumption of Wine was higher among the male population in 2016 compared to females. In terms of consumption by age group, Pre-Mid-Lifers accounted for the largest share of 24.7%, followed by Older Consumers with a 23.9% share.
The report Country Profile: Wine Sector in China provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of packaging materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021.
- Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Fortified Wine, Sparkling Wine and Still Wine with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021.
- Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016.
- Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as On-trade, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, and others.
- Packaging data: Consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Glass, Rigid Plastics, Paper & Board, Flexible Packaging, Rigid Metal and others; pack type data for: Bottle, Stand Up Pouch, Bag-In-Box, Carton-Liquid and Can.
Champagne Jacquart Sas, Dragon Sealwinery Co.., Ltd, Dynasty Fine Wines Group Limited, Europeenne de , Participations Industrielles (EPI), F.Lli Gancia & C. Spa, Freixenet (Dws) Ltd, Gh Martel & Co, Le Groupe, Great Wall Wine Co., Ltd, LVMH Moet Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, Laurent Perrier, Qingdaohuadong Wineryco.., Ltd., Remy Coitreau Group, Tonghuagrapewineco.., Ltd, Yantai Changyu Pioneer Wine Co Ltd, Yantai Weilong Grape Wine Co., Ltd., Carlo Rossi Vineyards, Castel Group, China Agri-Industries Holdings Limited(COFCO), China Tontine Wines Group Ltd, Citic Guoan Wine Co Ltd, Distell Group Limited, Félix Solís Avantis S.A, Yantai Pengzhu Winery Co Ltd, Yunnan Red Winery Goup Co Ltd, Yunnan Shangri-La Winery CoScope
Reasons to buy
- The Wine sector in China accounted for 62.9% volume share in the Asia-Pacific region.
- The per capita consumption of Wine is higher in China compared to the regional level
- Per capita consumption of Still Wine is high in China compared to global and regional levels
- On-trade is the largest distribution channel in the Chinese Wine sector
- Pre-Mid-Lifers and Older Consumers together accounted for 48.6% share of consumption in 2016
- Changyu accounts for the leading share in the Chinese Wine sector
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Wine consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.