Country Profile: Spirits Sector in China
Chinese Spirits sector accounted for a volume share of 32.8% of the global market and 52.3% of the regional (Asia-Pacific) market, in 2016. The sector is expected to grow at a CAGR of 15% during 2016-2021. Increasing disposable income of consumers, a large base of young population, rising drinking culture at social gatherings and events are fuelling the demand for the Spirits sector. Per capita consumption stood at 7.3 liters compared to the global and Asia-Pacific levels of 6.4 liters and 6.2 liters, respectively, in 2016.
Specialty Spirits was the largest with value sales of C¥1,272,817.5 Million (US$193,311.3 Million) in 2016. Tequila & Mezcal is expected to grow the fastest at a CAGR of 21.6% compared to Brandy, Liqueurs, Rum (4.5%), Specialty Spirits, Gin & Genever, Vodka and Whiskey (13.8%).
Hypermarkets & Supermarkets accounted for the largest volume share of 54.4% in the distribution of Spirits in 2016. It was followed by Food & Drinks Specialists with a share of 27.6% in the same year. On-trade transactions accounted for the volume share of 17.9% in the distribution of Spirits. Glass is the most commonly used package material in the Chinese Spirits sector. In 2016, it accounted for a volume share of 98.7%, followed by Rigid Metal and Rigid Plastics.
In 2016, Consumption of Spirits was higher among the male population compared to females. Consumption of Spirits was also high among Chinese consumers who attended Tertiary education. In terms of consumption by age group, Older Consumers and Older Young Adults together accounted for a 49.8% share in 2016.
The top five brands in the Chinese Spirits sector accounted for 10.7% volume share in 2016, with Red Star Er Guo Tou was the largest brand in volume terms. Private labels accounted for 11.8% share by volume in the same year.
The report Country Profile: Spirits Sector in China provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of packaging materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021. The overall market value and volume included in the report is split on the basis of On-trade and Off-trade
- Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Brandy, Gin & Genever, Liqueurs, Rum, Specialty Spirits, Tequila & Mezcal, Vodka, and Whiskey with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021
- Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016
- Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as On-trade, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others
- Packaging data: Consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Glass, Flexible Packaging, Rigid Metal and others; pack type data for: Bottle.
Beijing Red Star Co Ltd,Niu Lan Shan Distillery,Jiangsu Yanghe Group Co.,Ltd.,Luzhou Lao Jiao Co Ltd,Sichuan Yibin Wuliangye Distillery Co Ltd,Kweichow Moutai Company Limited,Shanxi XinghuaCun Fen Jiu Group Co., Ltd,Nanyang Company,Tuopai yeat liquir company,Lang Jiu Group,Kinmen Kaoliang Liquor Inc.,LVMH Moet Hennessy - Louis Vuitton,Pernod Ricard SA,Yantai Changyu Pioneer Wine Co Ltd,Diageo PLC, UK,Remy Coitreau Group,Bacardi Limited,Thomas Hine & Co,The Edrington Group,LVMH Moet Hennessy - Louis Vuitton,Russian Standard Corporation,Kafka.Scope
Reasons to buy
- The Spirits sector in China accounted for 52.3% volume share in the Asia-Pacific region
- The Spirits sector in China is forecast to grow at 15% CAGR in value terms during 2016-2021
- The per capita consumption of Spirits is high in China compared to the global and regional levels
- Per capita consumption of Specialty Spirits is high in China compared to global and regional levels
- Older Young Adults and Older Consumers together accounted for 49.8% share of consumption.
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Spirits consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.