Country Profile: Make-Up Sector in China
Chinese Make-Up sector accounted for a volume share of 3.3% of the global market and 17.8% of the regional (Asia-Pacific) market, in 2016. The sector is expected to grow at a CAGR of 7.2% during 2016-2021. Increasing disposable income of consumers and a large base of young population who are influenced by westernization is driving the sector. Per capita consumption stood at 0.13 units compared to the global and Asia-Pacific levels of 1.08 units and 0.31 units, respectively, in 2016.
Face Make-Up was the largest with value sales of C¥11,039.3 Million (US$1,676.6 Million) in 2016 in 2016. However, Eye Make-Up Nail Make-Up is expected to grow the fastest at a CAGR of 8.34% compared to Face Make-Up (8.31%), Lip Make-Up, and Nail Make-Up.
Department Stores was the leading distribution channel in the Chinese Make-Up sector, accounting for a total value share of 43.1% in 2016. It was followed by eRetailers and Hypermarkets & Supermarkets with shares of 20.3% and 15.3%, respectively, in the same year. In 2016, Rigid Plastics was the most commonly used package material in the Chinese Make-Up sector. It accounted for a share of 76.1%, followed by Glass and Flexible Packaging with shares of 15.3% and 8.6% respectively.
Top five brands in the Chinese Make-Up sector accounted for 42.8% value share in 2016. Private labels accounted for 3.5% share by value in the same year. Consumption of Make-Up products is high among the female population. It is also high among consumers who have received Tertiary education. In terms of consumption by age group, Older Young Adults and Pre-Mid-Lifers together accounted for a 47.7% share in 2016.
The report Country Profile: Make-Up Sector in China provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of packaging materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021.
- Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Eye Make-Up, Face Make-Up, Nail Make-Up, and Lip Make-Up with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021.
- Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016.
- Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Health & Beauty Stores, Department Stores, Drug Stores & Pharmacies, and others.
- Packaging data: Consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Glass, Rigid Plastics, Paper & Board, Flexible Packaging, and others; pack type data for: Specialty Container, Tube, Jar and Tub.
Procter & Gamble, Mary Kay, Inc., The Estee Lauder Companies Inc., L`Oreal S.A., Carslan, Kose Corporation, Shanghai Xiafei Cosmetics Co., Ltd, Clarins Group, Oriflame Cosmetics S.A., Chanel S.A., Amorepacific Corporation, Elizabeth Arden, Inc., Beiersdorf Ag, Avon Products, Inc., Shiseido Company, Limited, Danzi Group, Guangdong Marubi Biotechnology Co Ltd, Jala (Group) Co Ltd, Proya Cosmetics Co Ltd, Shanghai Feiyang Cosmetics Co Ltd, C.F.E.B. Sisley S.A.S., LVMH Moet Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, Nu Skin Enterprises Inc, Kao, Amway Corporation, Huanya Group Co Ltd, Revlon, Inc.Scope
Reasons to buy
- The Make-Up sector in China accounted for 17.8% volume share in the Asia-Pacific region in 2016
- Lip Make-Up is the largest market in volume terms in the Chinese Make-Up sector
- Department Stores is the largest distribution channel followed by eRetailers
- Maybelline accounts for the leading share in the Chinese Make-Up sector
- Older Young Adults and Pre-Mid-Lifers together accounted for 47.7% share of consumption
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Make-Up consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.