Country Profile: Savory Snacks Sector in China
Chinese Savory Snacks sector accounted for a volume share of 9.8% of the global market and 26.4% of the regional (Asia-Pacific) market in 2016. The sector was valued at C¥69,236.6 Million (US$10,515.4 Million) in 2016 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 9.6% during 2016-2021. Increasing disposable income and growing employment rates are the key growth drivers for the Savory Snacks sector in China. Furthermore, the consumers in China with long working hours and busy lives are snacking for on-the-go savory products are also aiding the growth of the sector in the country. Per capita consumption stood at 0.8kg when compared to the global and Asia-Pacific levels of 2.2kg and 3.4kg, respectively, in 2016.
Processed Snacks was the largest with value sales of C¥38,852.8 Million (US$5900.8 Million) in 2016. Furthermore, Potato Chips is expected to register the fastest value growth at a CAGR of 12.6% during 2016-2021 compared to Ethnic/Traditional Snacks (8.7%), Meat Snacks (8.2%), Nuts and Seeds (10.5%), Popcorn (9.5%), Pretzels (8.2%), and Processed Snacks (9.4%).
Hypermarkets & Supermarkets was the leading distribution channel in the Chinese Savory Snacks sector, accounting for a total value share of 45.7% in 2016. It was followed by Convenience Stores and Food & Drinks Specialists with 40.4% and 12.5% value shares, respectively, in the same year. Flexible Packaging was the most commonly used packaging material in the Chinese Savory Snacks sector with a volume share of 90.49% in 2016, followed by Paper & Board and Rigid Metal with 6.14% and 2.32% shares respectively.
Health & Wellness attributes such as ‘Free From’ and ‘Food Minus’ and consumer benefits such as ‘Health Management’ are the most sought after Health & Wellness claims in the Chinese Savory Snacks sector. Consumption of Savory Snacks is high among the male population. Moreover, consumption is particularly high among those Chinese consumers who received Tertiary education. In terms of consumption by age group, Kids & Babies and Pre-Mid-Lifers together accounted for a 40.8% share in 2016.
The top five brands in the Chinese Savory Snacks sector accounted for 21.7% value share in 2016 while private label products represented 0.4% share of the value sales in the same year.
The report Country Profile: Savory Snacks Sector in China provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of package materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Market Data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021
- Market Coverage: Value and growth analysis for Ethnic/Traditional Snacks, Meat Snacks, Nuts and Seeds, Popcorn, Potato Chips, Pretzels and Processed Snacks with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021
- Leading Players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016
- Distribution Data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others
- Packaging Data: consumption breakdown for package materials and pack type in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Metal, and Rigid Plastics, and others; pack type data for: Bag/Sachet, Film, Stand Up Pouch, Can, Speciality container, Tray, and Jar.
Calbee, Inc., Four Chuanmi Old Food Industry Group Co., Ltd., Haldirams, PT Liwayway, Qiaqia Food Co. Ltd, Tenwow Food (Group) Co Ltd, Too Good, Want Want China Holdings Limited, Bangbangwa, Brother Story, Conagra Foods, Inc., Four Seas Mercantile Holdings Ltd., Guangdong Kanghui Group Co., Ltd,, Hangzhou Greenfull Group Co., Ltd., Jack Link`s Nz Ltd., Laosichuan, Nature Is Best, Shanghai Food Co., Ltd., Shishi Huabao Ming Xiang Food Co., Ltd., WuXi , anzhaizhuang Food Co.,Ltd., Anhui Zhenxin Foods Co., Ltd., Blue Diamond Growers, Conscience land, Dan D Pak, Exactly, oshan GaoMing Hongying Food Co., Ltd., Golden Orchard Farmer (Beijing) Food Co., Ltd., Guoyurensheng, Jiangsu Alishan Food Co., Ltd., Kameda Seika Co.,Ltd.,, Kirkland Family Foods Llc, Kraft Foods, Member`s Mark, Ningbo Hengkang Food Co., Oh days idea, Shangai Baiweilin Industry Co,ltd., Shangai Sanming food co ltd., Shengxiangzhen, The Kraft Heinz Company, Tianmu peak.Scope
Reasons to buy
- The Savory Snacks sector in China accounted for volume share of 26.4% in the Asia-Pacific region
- The top five brands in Turkey accounted for 21.7% value share in 2016.
- The Savory Snacks sector in China is forecast to grow at 9.6% CAGR in value terms during 2016-2021
- Consumers in China are trading up to premium products in the Savory Snacks sector
- Potato Chips is forecast to register the fastest growth during 2016-2021
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets is the largest distribution channel, followed by Convenience Stores
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Savory Snacks products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.