Country Profile: Savory Snacks Sector in South Africa
South African Savory Snacks sector accounted for a volume share of 1.3% of the global market and 42.3% of the regional (Middle East & Africa) market in 2016. The sector was valued at R14,158.4 Million (US$963.5 Million) in 2016 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 4.8% during 2016-2021. Growing employment rate and high degree of urbanization are the key growth drivers of Savory Snacks sector in South Africa. Per capita consumption stood at 2.73kg when compared to the global and Middle East & Africa levels of 2.22kg and 1.83kg, respectively, in 2016.
Potato Chips was the largest with value sales of R5,346 Million (US$363.8 Million) in 2016. While Pretzels is expected to register fastest value growth at a CAGR of 6.1% during 2016-2021 compared to Potato Chips (5.2%), Nuts & Seeds (4.9%), Meat Snacks (4.5%), Processed Snacks (4.3%), Popcorn (4.1%), and Ethnic/Traditional Snacks (3.3%).
Hypermarkets & Supermarkets was the leading distribution channel in the South African Savory Snacks sector, accounting for a total value share of 64.9% in 2016. It was followed by Convenience Stores and Food & Drinks Specialists with value shares of 20.2% and 9.4%, respectively, in the same year. Flexible Packaging was the most commonly used pack material in the South African Savory Snacks sector with a share of 80.5% in 2016. It was followed by Paper & Board and Rigid Metal with shares of 17.8% and 0.8% respectively.
Health & Wellness attributes such as ‘Food Minus’ and consumer benefits such as ‘Weight & Shape Management are the most sought after Health & Wellness claims in the South African Savory Snacks sector. Consumption of Savory Snacks is high among the male population. It is also high among consumers who received Upper Secondary education. In terms of consumption by age group Kids & Babies and Older Young Adults together accounted for a 55.4% share in 2016.
Simba was the largest brand with value share of 14.2% in 2016, while Willards lead the market with a volume share of 14.8% in 2016.
The report Country Profile: Savory Snacks Sector in South Africa provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of package materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Market Data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021.
- Market Coverage: Value and growth analysis for Ethnic/Traditional Snacks, Meat Snacks, Nuts and Seeds, Popcorn, Potato Chips, Pretzels and Processed Snacks with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021.
- Leading Players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016.
- Distribution Data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others.
- Packaging Data: consumption breakdown for package materials and pack type in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Metal, and Rigid Plastics, and others; pack type data for: Bag/Sachet, Film, Stand Up Pouch, Can, Speciality container, Tray, and Jar.
L&C Messaris Brothers, Pioneer Foods, The Nut Lady, Komati Foods, Montagu Foods, PepsiCo, Conagra Foods, Inc., Lion Super Pop, Popz holding Llc, Tiger Brands Limited, Pa Steyn Foods,Cc., AVI, Frimax Foods South Africa, BETECH INTERNATIONAL (PTY) LTD, Natela Importers (Pty) Ltd, Soleo, Unilever, Intersnack Group GmbH & Co. KG, The Kellogg Company, The Procter & Gamble Company, Truda Snacks, United Biscuits, Bandito`S.Scope
Reasons to buy
- The Savory Snacks sector in South Africa is forecast to grow at 4.8% CAGR in value terms during 2016-2021
- Potato Chips is the largest market in both value and volume terms in South African Savory Snacks sector
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets is the largest distribution channel, followed by Convenience Stores
- PepsiCo is the leading brand in value terms in South African Savory Snacks sector
- Flexible Packaging is the most commonly used package material in South African Savory Snacks sector
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Savory Snacks products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.